Pager Ettiquitte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue_Leader

Silent Sentinel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you page someone, how long is long enough to wait by the phone before you can decide they aren't going to respond and either repage them/decide the page wasn't that important and wander off. I mean, waiting 5 minutes sure, definately. Waiting 10 minutes, maybe, I guess. But then after 10 minutes, ehhhh. I'm never sure what to do at that point. At which point can you go "Screw it, I waited long enough, I'm outta here"?

Members don't see this ad.

Rogue_Leader said:
When you page someone, how long is long enough to wait by the phone before you can decide they aren't going to respond and either repage them/decide the page wasn't that important and wander off. I mean, waiting 5 minutes sure, definately. Waiting 10 minutes, maybe, I guess. But then after 10 minutes, ehhhh. I'm never sure what to do at that point. At which point can you go "Screw it, I waited long enough, I'm outta here"?

That totally depends on how important it is to you to hear back.

Rogue_Leader said:

I usually wait maybe 5 minutes then wander off to see if I can't just physically find the person. If its really important I guess you can re-page in 15min? That seems reasonable to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My old research group had a great solution to this. Page with a landline #. No answer after 5, page with a pager #, so they can page you back when they get a chance.

socuteMD said:
My old research group had a great solution to this. Page with a landline #. No answer after 5, page with a pager #, so they can page you back when they get a chance.

Or just page with both initially. Thats what we do at our institution. Wait 5 minutes, and if they don't call back, they have your pager.

sscooterguy

Yeah tag it :

(line number)*(your pager)