Rogue_Leader

Silent Sentinel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When you page someone, how long is long enough to wait by the phone before you can decide they aren't going to respond and either repage them/decide the page wasn't that important and wander off. I mean, waiting 5 minutes sure, definately. Waiting 10 minutes, maybe, I guess. But then after 10 minutes, ehhhh. I'm never sure what to do at that point. At which point can you go "Screw it, I waited long enough, I'm outta here"?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Rogue_Leader said:
When you page someone, how long is long enough to wait by the phone before you can decide they aren't going to respond and either repage them/decide the page wasn't that important and wander off. I mean, waiting 5 minutes sure, definately. Waiting 10 minutes, maybe, I guess. But then after 10 minutes, ehhhh. I'm never sure what to do at that point. At which point can you go "Screw it, I waited long enough, I'm outta here"?
That totally depends on how important it is to you to hear back.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Rogue_Leader said:
I usually wait maybe 5 minutes then wander off to see if I can't just physically find the person. If its really important I guess you can re-page in 15min? That seems reasonable to me.

About the Ads

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
My old research group had a great solution to this. Page with a landline #. No answer after 5, page with a pager #, so they can page you back when they get a chance.

sscooterguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
socuteMD said:
My old research group had a great solution to this. Page with a landline #. No answer after 5, page with a pager #, so they can page you back when they get a chance.
Or just page with both initially. Thats what we do at our institution. Wait 5 minutes, and if they don't call back, they have your pager.

sscooterguy

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah tag it :

(line number)*(your pager)

About the Ads