Pahthophys question- Heart Failure --> Kidney Failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutch21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this belongs in a Step forum or somewhere else, but I am looking for a good DETAILED explanation of why chronic heart failure leads to kidney failure.

Is it just because of the drop in BP due to decreased CO leads to decreased renal perfusion which is harmful to nephrons? Thats about as far as I can get.

Note: I am a nursing student going to medical school next year. I am starting a rotation on a tele unit with several HF cases. I am just trying to get a full grasp of heart failure and it's consequences.

Members don't see this ad.

I am far from a nephrologist, but I do know that the renal medulla is the most oxygen sensitive region of the kidney. I would think that the ineffective oxygen delivery associated with heart failure would cause a relative hypoxemia in the renal medulla, thus contributing to the increased incidence of renal failure. This is probably a way more simple version of what truly goes on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am far from a nephrologist, but I do know that the renal medulla is the most oxygen sensitive region of the kidney. I would think that the ineffective oxygen delivery associated with heart failure would cause a relative hypoxemia in the renal medulla, thus contributing to the increased incidence of renal failure. This is probably a way more simple version of what truly goes on.

Thanks! That makes sense. I remember now reading about the sensitivity of the nephrons.