Pahthophys question- Heart Failure --> Kidney Failure

clutch21

7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2012
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry if this belongs in a Step forum or somewhere else, but I am looking for a good DETAILED explanation of why chronic heart failure leads to kidney failure.

Is it just because of the drop in BP due to decreased CO leads to decreased renal perfusion which is harmful to nephrons? Thats about as far as I can get.

Note: I am a nursing student going to medical school next year. I am starting a rotation on a tele unit with several HF cases. I am just trying to get a full grasp of heart failure and it's consequences.

Stellar Clouds

Lightly Seasoned Meat
    Jan 8, 2013
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I am far from a nephrologist, but I do know that the renal medulla is the most oxygen sensitive region of the kidney. I would think that the ineffective oxygen delivery associated with heart failure would cause a relative hypoxemia in the renal medulla, thus contributing to the increased incidence of renal failure. This is probably a way more simple version of what truly goes on.

About the Ads

clutch21

7+ Year Member
      Apr 23, 2012
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I am far from a nephrologist, but I do know that the renal medulla is the most oxygen sensitive region of the kidney. I would think that the ineffective oxygen delivery associated with heart failure would cause a relative hypoxemia in the renal medulla, thus contributing to the increased incidence of renal failure. This is probably a way more simple version of what truly goes on.

Thanks! That makes sense. I remember now reading about the sensitivity of the nephrons.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.