May 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
I am currently working with two doctors offices, one of which I basically do the basics of an MA or LPN. I triage patients and I assist the doctors with procedures such as PAPS, EKGs, Blood tests, ECT. I am getting paid for this since it is my employment but I was wondering how I would work this experience in? Do I simply use it as employment or would it be considered clincal experience? Thanks!

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently working with two doctors offices, one of which I basically do the basics of an MA or LPN. I triage patients and I assist the doctors with procedures such as PAPS, EKGs, Blood tests, ECT. I am getting paid for this since it is my employment but I was wondering how I would work this experience in? Do I simply use it as employment or would it be considered clincal experience? Thanks!

Clinical experience and volunteerism are not synonymous.

Jul 7, 2009
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't think that she said anything about counting it as volunteerism. I am currently in a similar situation. I have been a paid emergency room scribe for 2 years and during that time I've had extensive and varied clinical experiences as well as getting paid. Since I had to make it a huge priority (at the sacrifice of other activities) because I was actually an employee with a contract, I put it under employment for AMCAS but I stressed in the description how it gave me intense exposure to the medical field. However (for those doing TMDSAS) I believe that we are allowed to list activities twice (under both healthcare and employment)...for those that are filling that out.

personally i kind of doubt that it will really matter which one you count it as in the category as long as you give a good description of what you did.

About the Ads

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
well on AMCAS you would list this as employment and when you describe it (be it in your Work/Activities section where you get to list the 15 things that make you a stronger applicant, or be it in your interview) as paid clinical experience.

Arkansasranger, I don't think OP was intending to use this experience as volunteering, I think she simply wanted to know if she could combine cinical and emloyment

ToBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't think that she said anything about counting it as volunteerism. I am currently in a similar situation. I have been a paid emergency room scribe for 2 years and during that time I've had extensive and varied clinical experiences as well as getting paid. Since I had to make it a huge priority (at the sacrifice of other activities) because I was actually an employee with a contract, I put it under employment for AMCAS but I stressed in the description how it gave me intense exposure to the medical field. However (for those doing TMDSAS) I believe that we are allowed to list activities twice (under both healthcare and employment)...for those that are filling that out.

personally i kind of doubt that it will really matter which one you count it as in the category as long as you give a good description of what you did.

I think he the second poster was saying that if you put it in "clinical experience" then it won't necessarily be taken as an unpaid experience. I would put it in as clinical experience though I agree with this poster that the description is what matters most.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
well on AMCAS you would list this as employment and when you describe it (be it in your Work/Activities section where you get to list the 15 things that make you a stronger applicant, or be it in your interview) as paid clinical experience.

Arkansasranger, I don't think OP was intending to use this experience as volunteering, I think she simply wanted to know if she could combine cinical and emloyment

I KNOW what the OP was saying, LOL. Geez. What I meant by my reply is why shouldn't you be able to count paid clinical experience as clinical experience. Afterall, it is clinical experience. I see no reason to do more of it on a volunteer basis. Get your volunteer quota filled doing whatever you want, and get your clinical experience filled however you want.

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I KNOW what the OP was saying, LOL. Geez. What I meant by my reply is why shouldn't you be able to count paid clinical experience as clinical experience. Afterall, it is clinical experience. I see no reason to do more of it on a volunteer basis. Get your volunteer quota filled doing whatever you want, and get your clinical experience filled however you want.

I totally agree.:thumbup:

STAT EKG

7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Valhalla
Status (Visible)
Why couldn't you put it as both (Or at least make clear through the written description that it's both)?

It seems like both to me.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.