Mar 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
do 3rd and 4th years get paid during their rotations?

im getting mixed answers and i cant seem to find a previous topic

thanks!

FluffyRabbit

7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, and you pay tuition. To be fair, you're not really making their lives any easier then.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician

thanks!
No. In fact, you pay them.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

thanks!
Do not ever listen to the advice of anyone that told you yes.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Unlike other graduate school programs, medical school doesn't pay a striped. This is because your being trained and mostly babysat for a huge amount of those 2 years.

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Do not ever listen to the advice of anyone that told you yes.
I was under the impression that there is some stipend....like @ LSU-NO for the Baton Rouge rotation? Most definitely not the norm, but perhaps there are a few others out there?

thesauce

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Typically no. In 4th year, you can apply for paid fellowships and use them as electives. That's about the closest thing to what you're saying.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was under the impression that there is some stipend....like @ LSU-NO for the Baton Rouge rotation? Most definitely not the norm, but perhaps there are a few others out there?
If there is a stipend it is mostly likely your own tuition dollars being funneled back to you to make sure you don't starve. I have personally not heard of this at any of the schools I am familiar with. Ultimately, don't expect it and if it just so happens some school does it, then its a bonus on your part :)

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
LOL....never heard this one before.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Occasionally, if you're at a rotation that's far away from your home institution (lets say you have a one month rotation in Fresno as a UCSF student), you may get some kind of assistance with a place to live for the month. (No idea if said UCSF-Fresno rotation has that sort of thing in place, but I know I've heard it in a few places). The school might keep a few apartments in the area, since it'd be rather difficult to find a place to just rent for a month or 6-weeks or however long your rotation is

I've never heard of a program offering a *stipend* for any sort of rotation though.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

thanks!
NO. And sometimes you have to pay more money on top of your tuition for away rotations. Plus you tend to need to borrow lots of money for interviewing and Step 2 exams during fourth year. It's a huge money drain. I think it's meant to make the paltry residency salary look better.