paid clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hollerballer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do 3rd and 4th years get paid during their rotations?

im getting mixed answers and i cant seem to find a previous topic

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, and you pay tuition. To be fair, you're not really making their lives any easier then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unlike other graduate school programs, medical school doesn't pay a striped. This is because your being trained and mostly babysat for a huge amount of those 2 years.

Do not ever listen to the advice of anyone that told you yes.
I was under the impression that there is some stipend....like @ LSU-NO for the Baton Rouge rotation? Most definitely not the norm, but perhaps there are a few others out there?

Typically no. In 4th year, you can apply for paid fellowships and use them as electives. That's about the closest thing to what you're saying.

I was under the impression that there is some stipend....like @ LSU-NO for the Baton Rouge rotation? Most definitely not the norm, but perhaps there are a few others out there?

If there is a stipend it is mostly likely your own tuition dollars being funneled back to you to make sure you don't starve. I have personally not heard of this at any of the schools I am familiar with. Ultimately, don't expect it and if it just so happens some school does it, then its a bonus on your part :)

LOL....never heard this one before.

Occasionally, if you're at a rotation that's far away from your home institution (lets say you have a one month rotation in Fresno as a UCSF student), you may get some kind of assistance with a place to live for the month. (No idea if said UCSF-Fresno rotation has that sort of thing in place, but I know I've heard it in a few places). The school might keep a few apartments in the area, since it'd be rather difficult to find a place to just rent for a month or 6-weeks or however long your rotation is

I've never heard of a program offering a *stipend* for any sort of rotation though.

do 3rd and 4th years get paid during their rotations?

im getting mixed answers and i cant seem to find a previous topic

thanks!

NO. And sometimes you have to pay more money on top of your tuition for away rotations. Plus you tend to need to borrow lots of money for interviewing and Step 2 exams during fourth year. It's a huge money drain. I think it's meant to make the paltry residency salary look better.