Paid Internship vs Unpaid Internship - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SelleSnowy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this forum is geared toward pre-veterinary students, but I'm sure many of you have worked as an assistant or technician and have some great insight to help me make a really difficult decision.

My end goal: Work as a veterinary technician in a zoological facility.

I have a B.S. in Animal Science and am in my final semester of an A.S. in Animal Health Technology (Veterinary Technician) and will be eligible to sit for the VTNE and state board after May.

I have experience in emergency and critical care, avian and exotics, and equine medicine. I have been applying like crazy to summer zoo internships, and was not expecting this outcome. I am now faced with 2 incredible offers, and must make a decision by the end of the weekend.

Offer #1
Large AZA zoo, unpaid, 12 weeks, 40 hours/week, offers housing for nominal fee. During the phone interview it was mentioned that I would be able to work hands-on with many of the collection animals, as long as it is relatively safe to do so. I will be able to practice my technician skills, except for clin path because they send all samples out.

Offer #2
Well-known company, AZA accredited, paid, 6 months, 40 hours/week + potential on-call hours at night. I will be working with injured wildlife brought in to the hospital, and will be assisting with procedures on collection animals, but not allowed to work hands-on with them. Tasks involved with collection animal procedures include cleaning/autoclaving instruments and filing charts/radio-graphs. I'm worried I may start to lose some of my technician skills by not being able to draw blood/place catheters/take radio-graphs etc. on a regular basis, but this is a dream company to work for (and I have worked with them in the past).

My dilemma is deciding which internship will benefit my career the most. I know paid experience is often weighed heavier than unpaid, but I worry that if my paid experience isn't working hands-on with zoo animal species, it may be a set-back when interviewing for future positions.

Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, but does the offer #2 happen to be with Disney? Ignore me if I'm wrong :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with the paid experience. Even if the internship falls far below your expectations, at least you're getting a pay check and still adding half of year of zoo work to your resume. You can always volunteer in a more traditional vet setting as a tech to keep your skills honed as well.

Yeah you got it. I guess I could have just said that!
Awesome! I applied to that too! :D I figured based on all your info about the length/hours/company that must be it :laugh:

So I have applied to the Disney program (and their end date for decisions is April 1, but if you have an offer I guess they must have already picked/be in the selection process? My dashboard still says "in progress") as well as sent a few apps out to some paid internships at zoos as backup, and last week interviewed for a much more local aquarium bird/mammal internship (that one I'm pretty sure isn't paid).

I personally would only stick to those that were paid (and preferably with available housing too) because I can't see myself having to find/pay out of pocket for a temporary housing location for an unpaid internship (the aquarium one being the exception because it's local to me). I am looking for an internship for the purposes of expanding vet/animal experience for school admissions though, so I can't really speak to how any particular duties would look for professional tech experience.

Awesome! I applied to that too! :D I figured based on all your info about the length/hours/company that must be it :laugh:

So I have applied to the Disney program (and their end date for decisions is April 1, but if you have an offer I guess they must have already picked/be in the selection process? My dashboard still says "in progress") as well as sent a few apps out to some paid internships at zoos as backup, and last week interviewed for a much more local aquarium bird/mammal internship (that one I'm pretty sure isn't paid).

I personally would only stick to those that were paid (and preferably with available housing too) because I can't see myself having to find/pay out of pocket for a temporary housing location for an unpaid internship (the aquarium one being the exception because it's local to me). I am looking for an internship for the purposes of expanding vet/animal experience for school admissions though, so I can't really speak to how any particular duties would look for professional tech experience.
Out of curiosity, was the bird/mammal internship you applied for at the Texas State Aquarium?

@pinkpuppy9, is this the same internship you did?

I personally feel you should do the paid one because it's paid. Having money is an important thing.

Reactions: 1 user
@pinkpuppy9, is this the same internship you did?

I personally feel you should do the paid one because it's paid. Having money is an important thing.
Sounds like it!

I know that this forum is geared toward pre-veterinary students, but I'm sure many of you have worked as an assistant or technician and have some great insight to help me make a really difficult decision.

My end goal: Work as a veterinary technician in a zoological facility.

I have a B.S. in Animal Science and am in my final semester of an A.S. in Animal Health Technology (Veterinary Technician) and will be eligible to sit for the VTNE and state board after May.

I have experience in emergency and critical care, avian and exotics, and equine medicine. I have been applying like crazy to summer zoo internships, and was not expecting this outcome. I am now faced with 2 incredible offers, and must make a decision by the end of the weekend.

Offer #1
Large AZA zoo, unpaid, 12 weeks, 40 hours/week, offers housing for nominal fee. During the phone interview it was mentioned that I would be able to work hands-on with many of the collection animals, as long as it is relatively safe to do so. I will be able to practice my technician skills, except for clin path because they send all samples out.

Offer #2
Well-known company, AZA accredited, paid, 6 months, 40 hours/week + potential on-call hours at night. I will be working with injured wildlife brought in to the hospital, and will be assisting with procedures on collection animals, but not allowed to work hands-on with them. Tasks involved with collection animal procedures include cleaning/autoclaving instruments and filing charts/radio-graphs. I'm worried I may start to lose some of my technician skills by not being able to draw blood/place catheters/take radio-graphs etc. on a regular basis, but this is a dream company to work for (and I have worked with them in the past).

My dilemma is deciding which internship will benefit my career the most. I know paid experience is often weighed heavier than unpaid, but I worry that if my paid experience isn't working hands-on with zoo animal species, it may be a set-back when interviewing for future positions.

Any insight?
Having done the Disney internship, you do get the chance to draw blood, monitor anesthesia, etc. etc. It's just only on your wildlife patients. If they don't need it done, you won't be doing it. Your experience is highly dependent on the cases you see. I didn't do any filing of any sort, but things could have changed. Part of the internship is functioning as the tech assistant. If you let them know you want to be one of them when you grow up, I imagine they'll be very receptive to that and help you. Your experience is also HIGHLY dependent on your personality and ability to work with others, so remember that. I've heard horror stories of previous interns, so keep that in mind. This team is absolutely great and really changed me for the better in a lot of ways. Sometimes I wish I stayed down there when I was offered another position, but it is what it is. You likely won't regret this position, but I can also see the value in the unpaid position.

I was given the opportunity to practice tech skills, but that's because I sought out a tech (who is now gone) for help in this area. Remember that the majority of your cases with be euthanized, and you can absolutely practice things on them as long as you're respectful (except maybe radiographs, I recall not being allow to take any myself). You can position your own radiographs on your patients too. I monitored anesthesia on a pelican, drew blood from who knows how many chelonians and raptors, euthanized a lot of things, practiced intubation/blood draws on dead things, etc. You also have the opportunity to perform your own necropsies if something seems cool. Let me know if you have any other questions. I can answer them or put you in touch with one of the current interns.

Don't give up hope, you may be an alternate.

Reactions: 1 user
@pinkpuppy9 Thank you so much for replying! It's awesome to have input from someone who went through this internship. I wonder if maybe they don't advertise being able to do procedures to avoid an empty promise if the chance never comes up. I was told that I could practice on euthanized animals, which is still great experience. I think I will not be disappointed and I will come out of this an even more passionate technician.
If I think of specific questions, I may send them your way (as long as you don't mind!) :p

Thanks to the support of the members here on SDN and my family, I have chosen to accept the Disney internship!

@Devastating I wish you all the best in your internship pursuits!!! Sounds like you will have an exciting summer as well. :)

Reactions: 1 users
@pinkpuppy9 Thank you so much for replying! It's awesome to have input from someone who went through this internship. I wonder if maybe they don't advertise being able to do procedures to avoid an empty promise if the chance never comes up. I was told that I could practice on euthanized animals, which is still great experience. I think I will not be disappointed and I will come out of this an even more passionate technician.
If I think of specific questions, I may send them your way (as long as you don't mind!) :p

Thanks to the support of the members here on SDN and my family, I have chosen to accept the Disney internship!

@Devastating I wish you all the best in your internship pursuits!!! Sounds like you will have an exciting summer as well. :)
I certainly don't mind! You don't do any procedures, the vet does. But yes, you can draw blood and do other technician duties on your patients as the need comes up.

That's awesome! I used to volunteer there (my family lives in Corpus). It's a fun place!
That's crazy! Small world :eek:
Thank you, and I hope you have an awesome time at Disney! I think you chose well because that one's like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. If I do turn out to be accepted as an alternate maybe I'll end up lucky and we'll both be there :D