Paid Medical/Clincal Work vs. Volunteer Medical/Clinical Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kb and dh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I have a question about if you guys think I need to do additional medical/clinical volunteer work.

As of now, I have many hours in shadowing, 240 hours of paid summer medical work in a hospital, and years of non-clinical volunteering work as well.

Looking at MSAR, I see that many schools show that over 90% of accepted applicants have medical volunteer work.

My question is, does my medical paid work count in this volunteer category, even though it was not exactly volunteer? I feel like I got more hospital experience than a volunteer would, but should I do additional non-paid work for this category?

Please let me know!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.
I have a question about if you guys think I need to do additional medical/clinical volunteer work.

As of now, I have many hours in shadowing, 240 hours of paid summer medical work in a hospital, and years of non-clinical volunteering work as well.

Looking at MSAR, I see that many schools show that over 90% of accepted applicants have medical volunteer work.

My question is, does my medical paid work count in this volunteer category, even though it was not exactly volunteer? I feel like I got more hospital experience than a volunteer would, but should I do additional non-paid work for this category?

Please let me know!
Thanks.

If you got paid for it, it's not volunteer.

Schools want you to have clinical experience, which you obviously have from the shadowing and the job, and it is not necessary to get clinical experience from volunteering in a hospital. It just so happens that most pre-meds find volunteering in a medical setting to be the easiest and most available form of clinical experience, so that is why so many do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got paid for it, it's not volunteer.

Schools want you to have clinical experience, which you obviously have from the shadowing and the job, and it is not necessary to get clinical experience from volunteering in a hospital. It just so happens that most pre-meds find volunteering in a medical setting to be the easiest and most available form of clinical experience, so that is why so many do it.

Great, thank you.

Anyone else? Or does everyone agree that I should be okay with this?