Paid Non-ENT research vs Unpaid ENT research for summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfeet123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am currently an MS1 (superset on ENT) trying to figure out what research to do for this summer. I would like to stay at my home institution for ENT if possible.

I got offered an NIH training grant for the summer (basic science; it's mine if I accept) but it wouldn't be in the ENT dept, rather it would be neuro related. I am uneasy because I am wondering if I should be doing free ENT research instead to show more interest and build connections/LORs?

What would you guys do? From reading this site it seems ENT specific research seems important to residency directors (along with strong step 1s), but then again PhD's I've talked to say NIH grants seem to carry prestige as well.

Any extra advice/feedback/$.02 about research/nonresearch related ways to help get ENT residency are very welcome as well

Members don't see this ad.

Is the NIH deal for a specific neurology project or can you choose any neuro-related topic? If the latter, you could consider working on something with ENT overlap (probably neurotology related).

Any research looks good on your app, but unless you are particularly interested in the NIH stuff, I'd lean toward doing ENT research with your department. This summer is the last time you will have 2-3 free months before 4th year and it's a good opportunity to build connections with your ENT department.

Are you one of my medical student advisees? I literally had this talk today. Clearly, ENT research is best, as it demonstrates an early commitment to the field and your research would be of interest to your interviewers in the future. That being said, my research was not in ENT when I was a MS and we interview many people who did research in other fields. If finances are tight, you may he better with the paid position. You may also decide against becoming an ENT in the future once you are in your clinical rotations. I would do what interests you - it is tough being in research if you have little interest in the project.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will just throw this out there...if the NIH deal is an actual training grant from the NIH (in other words you applied, your grant was reviewed and accepted) I think this looks better on your CV than just working with the ENT dept. for the summer. The reason I say this is that it demonstrates your ability to write a grant, get it funded, and demonstrates your commitment to academics. In addition, it is basic science in Neurology, which is easily applicable to ENT where lots of neuro research is conducted. Finally, being an MS1 means that even though you are "superset" on ENT, remember that many people who are "superset" change their minds later in medical school, and having a basic science research experience in neurology is likely much more impressive to all other specialties than very ENT specific work.

I had a NIH grant through the majority of my training and it was a major feather in the cap of my CV when it came time for applying and interviews, and my research had nothing specific to do with ENT (it was basic science in cancer/inflammation/etc). I did have some ENT case reports that I finished by the end of M3, but I think my major research accomplishment was the grant.

Also remember you have time to do some ENT specific research as medical school goes on, but you may not be able to secure NIH funded research again, so if I were you I would go the NIH route. Just an opinion, of course!
Good luck,
G

I will just throw this out there...if the NIH deal is an actual training grant from the NIH (in other words you applied, your grant was reviewed and accepted) I think this looks better on your CV than just working with the ENT dept. for the summer. The reason I say this is that it demonstrates your ability to write a grant, get it funded, and demonstrates your commitment to academics. In addition, it is basic science in Neurology, which is easily applicable to ENT where lots of neuro research is conducted. Finally, being an MS1 means that even though you are "superset" on ENT, remember that many people who are "superset" change their minds later in medical school, and having a basic science research experience in neurology is likely much more impressive to all other specialties than very ENT specific work.

I had a NIH grant through the majority of my training and it was a major feather in the cap of my CV when it came time for applying and interviews, and my research had nothing specific to do with ENT (it was basic science in cancer/inflammation/etc). I did have some ENT case reports that I finished by the end of M3, but I think my major research accomplishment was the grant.

Also remember you have time to do some ENT specific research as medical school goes on, but you may not be able to secure NIH funded research again, so if I were you I would go the NIH route. Just an opinion, of course!
Good luck,
G

Agreed. NIH grants seem pretty highly coveted... Anybody can do unpaid research because it's just free labor--you don't have to be particularly committed or smart. But getting an NIH grant indicates a higher level of achievement, even if it's not in the particular field you want to go into.

Also, by the time you apply, you may have changed your mind about residency field, no matter how confident you seem now.

To me it is an easy choice, take the NIH opportunity while you can, unless you think it will be boring or a waste of your efforts. You can do free ENT research during MS2. If you do follow through with the ENT path, you would still be ahead of the game if you start during MS2 and be on track to get an ENT related publication by the time you apply at the beginning of MS4.

As far as applicability of neurology vs noeurotology, I don't think there is a whole lot of overlap. But there could be some good research methodology training you'd get out of a more structured NIH program compared to trying to flag down busy ENT attendings to talk about research with them.