Paid research in a program of possible interest vs unpaid in program of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 looking to do some research over the summer. I really don't have a concrete idea of what I want to do yet (obviously). I have the opportunity to spend the summer doing research in Optho at one of the top institutes in the country (unpaid) or a paid anesthesiology research position. I'm very interested in optho and somewhat interested in anesthesiology. Which of these two options would you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

while I am not a medical student yet, last summer I did unpaid research in anesthesia... and I really wish it was paid, because I was working so hard that I should have been paid....

just because you won't get paid, does not mean it will be easy on you... you will work just as hard as someone being paid... so it is then that you will wish to be paid

do this optho research right before you enter 4th year... right now do the anesthesia research

Members don't see this ad :)
Which ever one is more likely to get published.

That aside, I'd do the Ophtho research if you can get by without the paycheck for the summer. From what I understand, it's a pretty clique-ish specialty, moreso than many, so having any foot in the door in that arena seems helpful.

Then again, you have no idea what specialty you'll actually end up in. But assuming you're not getting offered insane money for the anesthesiology research, the Ophtho opportunity seems pretty good.

I know this is a stretch, but think about it this way: Is an extra 2-4 grand worth missing out on maybe making some important connections/headway in a field you'd like to go into (and can potentially be pretty lucrative)? Picture yourself in 10 years: you're more likely to appreciate the work that got you to whatever specialty you're in at that point than simply having had some extra beer money for a summer.

I'm an MS1 looking to do some research over the summer. I really don't have a concrete idea of what I want to do yet (obviously). I have the opportunity to spend the summer doing research in Optho at one of the top institutes in the country (unpaid) or a paid anesthesiology research position. I'm very interested in optho and somewhat interested in anesthesiology. Which of these two options would you guys suggest?

Cant you find something Ophtho that is paid? Our med school had opportunities in every specialty. Maybe you just need to dig deeper? I agree that ophtho is very competitive and showing early interest is likely to help. If you don't do well enough on step 1 for ophtho and decide anesthesia is for you, it would still be much easier to get your app ready in time for anesthesia than it would be in ophtho. Am I making sense? anyways, look for a pain position, but if you can't find one in your desired field, and assuming you can afford to work for free, do what you think will benefit your career.

Finally, make sure this unpaid ophtho gig is really with the trouble.

I think getting paid is better not only for the cash but it may also have some indirectly beneficial effects. More accountability, responsibility, and drive to get something out of it. For both parties. Unpaid may be too lax.

But then again, a paid internship may mean doing more scut work or duties that NEED to be done whereas the upaid opportunity may give more flexiblity for the PI to let you go off on your own to do the project.

It really depends on the position and how much you'll get out of it, as previously stated. Learn as much as you can about both the positions and at least a general idea of what you'll be working on.

Tough choice. If both were unpaid (or paid), ophtho research would help you out more in the long run if that's what you choose to do (as in landing an ophtho residency spot would probably depend more on doing research in the field).

Plus, as someone else mentioned, going for the research that is more likely to land a presentation or pub is better. Even if you end up going for Ophtho, an Anesth pub may get you noticed more than unpublished Ophtho research.

It's probably going to come down to you considering all the options and making your decision based on your own thoughts opposed to any advice we can give.

First, realize that your interests will likely change as you go through school. Two, while it's nice when everything lines up, PDs know that people switch interests in med school. It's ok to go Anes with ophtho research and vice versa.

Three, your time is valuable. You should be paid. I think the PI will value someone he's paying more than one who's not paid. In any case, you need to pay your bills, and you shouldn't be penalized by taking out more loans to do a research position.

Four, I would go with the person who is most likely to give you a project where you can publish or present your findings, where you will learn, and where you can get support later in your career. Research, at the beginning stages, is an investment in time and effort where you get education and connections in return.

Five, you don't need to be limited to 2 options. Take a look at the Research FAQ. There's a link (newly updated) to a list of a number of MS1 summer research opportunities that you can apply for. Most/all of them IIRC, are paid.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I'm going to think about it over the next week or so once exams are done and see. Thanks again.

Three, your time is valuable. You should be paid.

Absolutely, 100% agree. There is no reason you should not be compensated for your time. My days of "free labor in return for nebulous intangible benefits that don't really come with any guarantee attached" ended in undergrad. People will always exploit you if you let them. If you're that interested in ophtho, find a paid position, or try to get your school to give you a grant to do research. There are plenty of options out there.