Paid Research on AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caughtinthefog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm prepping my activities for the upcoming cycle as I'll be leaving the country in May and I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a hard and fast rule on whether it is necessary to tell whether your research was paid or not. I'm combining two of the research labs I worked in into one activity because I'm already using up all my activities and I'm pressed for space so I'm not sure if it's worth wasting the characters. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its probably important to distinguish between research thats done for personal gain (money or credits) and research thats done on a volunteer basis. Are those two separate categories on AMCAS? If so, I think you should try to find other activities to combine. Not labeling correctly would be misrepresenting how much you volunteer.

I think its probably important to distinguish between research thats done for personal gain (money or credits) and research thats done on a volunteer basis. Are those two separate categories on AMCAS? If so, I think you should try to find other activities to combine. Not labeling correctly would be misrepresenting how much you volunteer.
There is no distinction between volunteer and paid research on AMCAS.
I'm wondering about the same thing, OP (have a lot of activities).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this matters. "Volunteering" to do research isn't showing altruism like other volunteering would. What's more important is being able to talk about it/productivity

No really cares if you "volunteer" to do research at your school. Most students do that and it's almost a requirement.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a hard and fast rule on whether it is necessary to tell whether your research was paid or not. I'm combining two of the research labs I worked in into one activity because I'm already using up all my activities and I'm pressed for space so I'm not sure if it's worth wasting the characters.
List it as one activity under Research and mention the employee status in the narrative with one word: "Paid."

Reactions: 3 users
There is no distinction between volunteer and paid research on AMCAS.
I'm wondering about the same thing, OP (have a lot of activities).

I'm going to go ahead with what Catalystik suggested and just throw "Paid" in the title since there's no other way of distinguishing between types.

Reactions: 1 user