Pain fellowship after a DO-residency in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tychromancy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are you hoping to do exactly because as a psych trained pain doctor you're not gonna be doing the lucrative invasive procedures

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
You are at the lowest end the spectrum in term of both specialty and possibly residency.

anesthesia > PM&R > neurology > psychiatry

high end academic > low end academic > communo-university > community hospital (AOA)

There are psych docs that do pain, but it is rare (not really a procedure based field). If you want to do psychiatry, think about the end goal more. There are other fellowships that are more focused on psych (ex. addition medicine).

Members don't see this ad :)
Pain & Sleep can both be done by psychiatrists. But if you're not an anesthesiologist or an ENT in either of those fields, you're going to honestly be able to do much.

Pain & Sleep can both be done by psychiatrists. But if you're not an anesthesiologist or an ENT in either of those fields, you're going to honestly be able to do much.

Sleep docs are usually pulmonologists or neurologists .....going into it from anesthesia or ENT is quite rare but of course this depends on region and institution

Sleep docs are usually pulmonologists or neurologists .....going into it from anesthesia or ENT is quite rare but of course this depends on region and institution

Right pulmonologists, I got them and ENTs mixed up haha.

I think the biggest hurdle here may be the DO-residency, being that's it's DO AND psychiatry (so double whammy). Although it is a possibility, chances are slim. If you're going into psychiatry with your sights on pain, I may reconsider the motivations of going into psychiatry and try to land a gas or PMR spot instead.

Reactions: 1 user