Pain fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs have the best interventional experience? Both numbers and teaching?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a good friend go through Cook. I think he was happy with everything. He made a lot of friends there quickly. I went up and hung out with them one weekend for a stim course. I know he is planning on doing his own stim implants and did a lot of vertebroplasty.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a good friend go through Cook. I think he was happy with everything. He made a lot of friends there quickly. I went up and hung out with them one weekend for a stim course. I know he is planning on doing his own stim implants and did a lot of vertebroplasty.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

went to cook for an interview this year. not much volume at all. only plus was they did some cement procedures.

How are the other Chicago programs?

Rush appears the most interventional of all the Chicago programs. They work very hard there but the fellows come out with good training. I think the didactics suffer because they are so focused on production. I believe the best balance between interventions and teaching is Northwestern. And their facilities are amazing. Rush also built a new hospital in the past few years but their location is not as great as Northwestern's. The vibe/culture is also much better at Northwestern and their fellows appeared happier in general. UChicago is good but not worth the effort unless you're from UChicago. They only have 2 spots and have taken internal candidates the past 5 years. UIC is good for bread and butter.

I would trade doing less LESIs for vplasty or kypho training. There are many programs where fellows get zero exposure to kypho. I had adequate exposure but nothing too substantial and have probably done twice as many in 3 months on the job than I did in fellowship.

Rush appears the most interventional of all the Chicago programs. They work very hard there but the fellows come out with good training. I think the didactics suffer because they are so focused on production. I believe the best balance between interventions and teaching is Northwestern. And their facilities are amazing. Rush also built a new hospital in the past few years but their location is not as great as Northwestern's. The vibe/culture is also much better at Northwestern and their fellows appeared happier in general. UChicago is good but not worth the effort unless you're from UChicago. They only have 2 spots and have taken internal candidates the past 5 years. UIC is good for bread and butter.

Awesome. Thanks.