Pain Fellowship.. When to submit application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJackieW

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm currently a PM&R PGY-3 getting ready to apply this year for the 2011 Pain Fellowship start date.

I have contacted some programs that say they start accepting applications January 1st.. But I have heard variable opinions as to that may be too early to get my application in...

I was thinking of getting my entire file in to each program by March.. But I would love to hear any feedback from people who have been through the process.. or any advice!

Thank you in advance..
Jackie

Members don't see this ad.

i applied this past year and it seemed like most of the acgme pain programs were on a similar schedule--earliest interview i heard of was the end of July. getting your applications in by march should be perfect, but make sure you have all the supporting documentation lined up--ie. your LORs. Many attendings are not very fast at getting your letters out and may sit on them for months. i heard there was a "gentleman's agreement" to not make any formal offers until 9/1 for the acgme pain programs...

if you are also applying for pm&r based spine fellowships...this is quite a bit different. it seemed like the majority made offers as soon as they found a candidate they liked regardless of when. if you apply too early you may end up having to turn down some good offers in the hope of an acgme pain spot that may or may not happen. if you apply too late most of the spine programs figure they were your back-up or they may have already filled their position.

Hi there! I'm currently a PM&R PGY-3 getting ready to apply this year for the 2011 Pain Fellowship start date.

I have contacted some programs that say they start accepting applications January 1st.. But I have heard variable opinions as to that may be too early to get my application in...

I was thinking of getting my entire file in to each program by March.. But I would love to hear any feedback from people who have been through the process.. or any advice!

Thank you in advance..
Jackie

April...

but you will have MANY programs tht tell you dont send anything in until June..

Goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the information... What things did you have in your package that you sent yourself... ? Your LORs, CV, Personal Statement, App... and then Dean's Letter, Transcripts, Board stuff sent individually?
Thanks again!

Thank you both for the information... What things did you have in your package that you sent yourself... ? Your LORs, CV, Personal Statement, App... and then Dean's Letter, Transcripts, Board stuff sent individually?
Thanks again!

ONly thing YOU send yourself--> personal statement, application

Your attendings/residency---> send the LORs

Most places want the official transcripts and Dean's letter. This means you have to shell out the 50 bucks or so to have NBME send them to the school...yes I know that's expensive.

Each place is different man...there's no uniform application. You really hve to contact each program separately d/t to variability.

like sleepisgood pointed out--most applications require different stuff. Some of the things I was asked to include in my application included: copies of SAE scores (PM&R self-assessment exam), USMLE scores, med school Dean's Letter, photocopy of any active state license, med school transcript, CV, personal statement, LORs, program application if required. I added cover letters as well for each program summarizing included materials, specifying which spot I would like to be considered for (July vs. Jan), etc.

Most programs did not require all this stuff, but I went ahead and sent it anyways since I had to gather it for others.

Photocopies of most of these documents were fine for most programs (ie. SAE/USMLE scores, dean's letter, transcripts, etc.). Your program coordinator likely has most of this stuff on file for you to copy.

Last edited:
Seriously? Applications are going in already? I thought that March/April is early.

Thanks again!

If you plan to apply to Texas Tech, it may be fiscally sound to begin dating a Notary Public.

Seriously? Applications are going in already? I thought that March/April is early.

Believe me....now is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy to early. March/April is PLENTY early. I had my stuff ready in march and the programs were telling me it's way to early.

Believe me, I just went through the process.