Pain management job advertisements, is this true? Looks awful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasMD

whazup
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found this web-site with pain jobs. Contrary to previous discussions, starting salaries really suck. Anesthesiologists without pain fellowships are starting at higher salaries than these advertised salaries. Here is a link to this web-site. Radiology salaries are unbelievable.
http://www.rrrassoc.com/

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Often jobs that suck need recruiters. The better jobs often don't. ;)

I agree with jwk and you have to remember that some of the salaries are leading to partnership in two years so this is were the money is at. But mostly I think it is mostly a crappy practice that needs a recruiter because the salary is low.

Members don't see this ad :)
If recruiters aren't the answer, then where does one look for the best opportunities? :confused:

One of the best sources is gaswork.com
The listings are somewhat stratified into agency and non-agency jobs and pain jobs are listed.
Other sources are the academies such as AAPM and PASSOR which has a job listing site on-line for physiatrists.
Many of the conferences have job listings posted at the conference. PASSOR conferences have a list at each conference. SPPM posts a few jobs at each conference.

There is usually a delay in collection in the first year, as well as building your reputation/referal base. Therefore the starting salary for Pain is usually lower than straight anesthesia. Your employer, new partners, are essentially taking a risk on whether you will generate cold cash for the next year or two. Some numbers I have heard from former fellows were as high as $350K or as low as $170K. There is usually a bonus (a % of your collection). If the group is aggressive in procedures, your earning potential can dramatically increase after a few years. Remember, one must not choose Pain Medicine only based on the earning potential. Some of us have chosen pain medicine for the lifestyle, exciting new innovations, and interesting patient population (really! There is never a dull moment). I would choose a historionic pain patient for 30 minutes over a cocky surgeon in the OR for 3 hours any day. :)