Pain Medicine Board Exam - Study Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a high yield set of notes when they took their pain board exam? I'm in the process of compiling and creating, but I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if it's been done. I'd be willing to share the final product with any contributors.

Members don't see this ad.

highly unlikely a guy like you would fail this thing

painexam.com plus Dannemiller

Members don't see this ad :)
Painexam.Com once then dannemiller once for your own peace of mind. It was the worst exam I've taken. Lots of bad questions that made me regret studying at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Painexam.Com once then dannemiller once for your own peace of mind. It was the worst exam I've taken. Lots of bad questions that made me regret studying at all.
Agree and agree. I did those two plus adbi ?'s book. Test sucked. Passed comfortably though

Honestly I would say that one in ten questions was something that I actually studied. I guessed a whole lot and still passed towards the right side of the curve. So in short, the most important step in becoming board certified, is to give them your $$$$.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I would say that one in ten questions was something that I actually studied. I guessed a whole lot and still passed towards the right side of the curve. So in short, the most important step in becoming board certified, is to give them your $$$$.
Such a racket isn't it?

There needs to be a strong barrier to entry to hold back the charlatans. You guys all studied intensely, and that makes you better pain doctors.

Agree and agree. I did those two plus adbi ?'s book. Test sucked. Passed comfortably though
Dannemiller is the best thing out there. I went through the DVD several times. Did pain exam to identify what I was weak on that Dannemiller didn't cover. Scored very high and this was second recertification for this old man with aging brain.

There needs to be a strong barrier to entry to hold back the charlatans. You guys all studied intensely, and that makes you better pain doctors.

I studied more than I wish I had. Dannemiller a few times and painexam a couple times. Regretted 95% of that time wasted. And I have to disagree with studying that material resulting in being a better pain doctor. No patient has ever been harmed due to the lack of knowledge regarding the nav 1.7 Na+ channel being encoded by the SCN9A gene ;) The following question could probably help out the profession though...

TRUE OR FALSE: A BCBS patient who has met their deductible requires a mandatory series of three (cervical and lumbar), SI injections, facet injections (cervical, thoracic and lumbar), RFA, SCS and also compounded cream dispensed by your own compounding pharmacy.

It's the board takers time though. Do with it as you please.

Dannemiller is overkill. Someone had it and I attempted to watch one lecture. stopped 5 mins in.

Just do painexam and some other questions, like abdi.

i like dannemiller. there is a lot of decent information, especially on topics that are more esoteric.

MOC is ridiculous, overkill, expensive, and a time drain. at least using Dannemiller to learn/relearn pain has benefits, cause its so rare the we do full reviews without some inciting reason. you would probably learn more from dannemiller than the thousands in membership dues you spend on ASIPP, ISIS, NASS, ABPMR, ASA memberships... for only $600.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dannemiller was good for the topics outside my base field and not relevant to what we do on a daily basis in outpatient pain mgmt. (Regional, Ob anesthesia, other OR anesthesia Q's, details of primary HA disorders, eye ). I may have also thought those lectures didn't suck bc I didn't know those topics well going in. I thought the msk/sports/EMG lectures sucked... but that is my background. Who knows. I listened to it in the car to and from work only. Got a bunch correct directly bc of that.

If anyone has the Dannemiller DVD PM me if you are willing to sell it. MOCA recert is approaching fast.

When are results due out? Mid-May? Exam seemed fair (except for some impossible few) even without in-depth studying.

What is the best book to learn flouro anatomy for real life? Furman? Thank you in advance...

I assume the Pain ITE is a good representation of the actual test?

I thought it was representative but a little bit easier. I got 99 percentile on the ITE and somewhere in the 60's or 70's on the real thing. I let the ITE score go to my head and did not do much to prepare for the actual boards.

I am but a mere game show host, certainly no son of God, but I was really pleased with my score as well. Especially, since I took it cold as I was solely focused on anesthesia oral board prep. Got the good news on both tests the same week.

Current pain fellow, anesthesiologist. Currently studying for in-service with Dannemiller lectures and pain exam questions. Our program has 100% pass rate over the past 15 years and I'm reading above thread recommending less is more in terms of studying for this exam. Just curious if you know of colleagues that failed. Jus trying to determine how much additional effort to put forth. Thanks in advance.

i have taken and passed the exam 3 times. the last time i took it i was surprised how little extra time i had at the end of the exam. the second time i took it i finished at least 20 minutes early even after rechecking questions. i thought the exam was worthwhile - every time i took it i learned something worthwhile because it forced me to review. if you study for the exam just to pass you may find the endeavor to be worthless. what i did is find the most current review text available, something about 300-500 pages long, take 3 weeks off from work, and read the book by covering 1/21 of the pages a day. you will find that after 30 years post fellowship there is some worthwhile new stuff although i firmly believe experience is much more valuable than what you will find in a book. what surprised me about the exam each time is how few spine MRI's were on it. YMMV but it think this is one of those educational opportunities that can be worthwhile or not, depending on the applicant.

First thing to know is that the ITE is nearly identical to the real exam. Second is that the is a lot that you won't study simply because of the WTF factor. Third and most important is that the best study material out there is absolutely FREE AND YOU SHOULD NOT PAY A DIME for any web sites as they are not representative of the exam.