pain medicine externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mullerian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
My school only allows 3 months of one specialty, so they said that if I need to do an extra month, it needs to be "titled something else". So for my 3rd externship, I was thinking about doing a 'pain management' one at one of the hospitals I'm interested in.
Would doing a pain management externship help get my foot in the door, or should I forget about it?

Members don't see this ad.

my school only allows two months in one specialty....so I am going to do an icu month (at a place with some good anes exposure i hope) and either a pain or cv month. i don't think it will help as much as doing a regular anes rotation but better than nothing...besides, I want some icu experience before being an intern!

Hi
My school only allows 3 months of one specialty, so they said that if I need to do an extra month, it needs to be "titled something else". So for my 3rd externship, I was thinking about doing a 'pain management' one at one of the hospitals I'm interested in.
Would doing a pain management externship help get my foot in the door, or should I forget about it?
Anything helps. I did a pain rotation at the program I'm currently in, and ended up matching there. You have to work hard though, even if its pain med. and many times U have to deal with boring stories of chronic pain, I ended up asking the Pain fellowship director to write me LOR. It worked. looking back now, as an Anes. Resident, a lot of pain faculty are also involved with the whole matching process, so ask around whitch faculty is personable and has weight in the process and ask him/her for LOR. Good luck

My school only allows 2 months is 1 specialty so I did a month in the Pain program at UC-Davis. I was cut loose for a few days to work in the ORs and the Pain PD helped me set up a 30 minute meeting with the Anesthesiology PD. I was glad I did the month of pain. :D Any face time helps!