• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Pain medicine fellowship after child neurology residency

Staphylococcus Aureus

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
    Has anyone seen a child neurology resident (Boarded in neuro) get a pain fellowship? Is this realistic or even possible? It looks like Boston childrens has a pediatric pain fellowship, any experiences with this or similar programs?

Last edited:

Orin

10+ Year Member
    Jul 27, 2009
      Has anyone seen a child neurologist (Boarded in neuro) get a pain fellowship? Is this realistic or even possible? It looks like Boston childrens has a pediatric pain fellowship, any experiences with this or similar programs?
      I think it's feasible if you've got a fear of not being a trainee.

Cincy children's might be another option.

Generally those are combo peds anesthesia/pain type positions. You're a bit limited by the neurology training, but it would a useful niche for the abdominal pain and headaches in that population.

It's a hard one though to figure out how till be meaningfully employed outside of academic locations.

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

hyperalgesia

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Jan 9, 2010
      1. Attending Physician
        Thanks, I suppose my main question is would pain PDs consider a child neuro applicant?
        I would just focus on the neuro aspect with the side benefit of the esoteric specialty of pediatric pain. Neuro is very pertinent. Programs often like to diversify their class. Convince them you have something unique to offer the class.

Orin

10+ Year Member
        Jul 27, 2009
          To clarify I’m interested in treating both peds and adult patients and not limiting my inquiry to the pediatric specific pain fellowships.

My fault. That's a very different question. At that point they're just looking at you as a neurology resident. The usual pathway is fine, but you'll want to establish relationships with PDs at the place you're looking at. Your application may be stacked as compared with a conventional anesthesia/PMR person as you've had a few more years to pad it with things, but you need to establish that you have had exposure to pain (good letter from your local program) and that you're trainable.

1. Look at places with large classes, ideally 4+, as you're going to find them more willing to take atypical people due to the risk of a bad fit. The fellowship is just a year so it's a lot easier to take people that're already knowledgeable about things and polish, rather than really train them up.
          2. Reach out to those PDs when you've got things figured out. A good time may be the gap after the rank lists go in and before the match happens for the year prior. In this case the first two weeks of October might be a good time.
          3. Get to the interview stage and figure out how they train non-Anes/non-PMR people. Show insight into your weakness/gaps, and then give them comfort by talking about your exposure to stuff like clinic flow, procedures, reading MRIs, etc.

It's a sales thing. Good luck.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          Jul 1, 2008
          1. Attending Physician
            Cincinnati children's pain fellows have been peds trained, anesthesia trained, rehab trained and heme-onc trained. I'd email PD's directly but I think many peds pain programs would be happy to have a qualified motivated child neuro trained fellow.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.