Pain Medicine Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehul_25

Dude!!!
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did everyone hear that "Pain Medicine" the official journal of American Academy of Pain Medicine is now the official journal of ISIS. Any thoughts?

I personally think it is going to great for both ISIS and pain medicine in general.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's great. I liked Bogduk's editorial about the new collaboration. I think it represents a "maturing" of ISIS and increased recognition by academic practitioners of the contributions ISIS has made to the field. I would actually like to see the two groups move even closer together--sponsoring joint conferences, perhaps discounted reciprocal membership, liaisons to each other's board of directors, etc. The field is too fragmented and redundant for its size. If the field is to be effective in advocating for policy issues at the national level (as AAPM has done) we need a more unified representation.

I wonder what the ASIPP folks think of this?

One of the ASIPP board members is also an ISIS board member so there is indeed some maturing of the relative positions based on a better understanding of construct of each organization. ISIS also has board members that are on the board of NASS and are others that are instrumental in the ABA/ASA and AAPMR.
The focus of ASIPP is actually quite different than that of ISIS with each group acknowledging the strengths of the other organizations and the part they play in the overall landscape of pain medicine. Although there are significant philosophical differences between many of the organizations, this year has brought a period of less interorganizational rhetoric and acromony. With AAPM and ISIS sharing the journal, I see the potential for further developments in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what about the ISIS journal "Interventional Spine" that is supposed to be edited by Curtis Slipman.

Has that idea been scrapped?

I believe there was only 1 issue published. Is it back to being a "newsletter".

The latest edition is on the ISIS website, but I haven't received an acutal hard copy in the mail.

Correct....the ISIS newsletter continues to be published independently and will remain as a newsletter. The idea for the ISIS journal gradually morphed into adoption of Pain Medicine as our journal....

Is the newsletter only an online item or does it also get sent out to members?

The on-line version goes out first...then the mailed version later. I have not received my paper version yet either...

So who is a member of ISIS or ASIPP or both?

Poll?

T

I am a member of ISIS, ASIPP and AAPM.

What we need are decent journals, not feel-good joint ventures. The material being published is appalling. I think to a certain extent it's a case of too many journals chasing too few quality studies so filler gets used, but the editorial bar seems to be set very low. In many of the papers it's impossible to truly understand what was done and how it was analyzed, and the authors seem to be allowed to make any old damn fool statement they wish.

I just had an email discussion with a PharmD student about the recent paper in Pain Medicine by Gallagher et al on dosing frequency with extended-release opioids. She tore it to shreds. She also pointed out that the editors allowed a statement about the need for better long-acting drugs, when the study was sponsored by Endo (manufacturer of Opana). I had to explain to her that doctors don't know anything about science.

I have come to the conclusion that any study in which one of the authors is a paid "consultant", is a principle of the company, or was offered shares in the company stock, is completely and totally ethically devoid of any value whatsoever. The overt flaunting of impropriety regarding financial self-dealing is reprehensible. Reviews that cite these papers as evidence are therefore equally flawed to the core, and can only be viewed with extreme skepticism. It is ethical and reasonable for companies to sponsor clinical trials and analysis of these trials by paying for the cost of the research and a physician's time to conduct the study, but an owner or one with significant financial interest in the company cannot be unbiased...
We need to move towards incisive division of physician roles and need to insist on segregation of physicians as businessmen and physicians as scientists. Veracity cannot be assured when physicians have a substantial financial interest in the outcome of a study. Many of the narcotic studies fall into this realm of unethical behavior. It is really no different than the Vioxx FDA panel fiasco...
We must look further at such industry purchased studies