Pain/MSK/Spine/Sports fellowship list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked to sticky this list

Some traditionally anesthesia run pain fellowships that have taken PM&R in the past:
Oregon
UPenn
Jefferson
Penn State
Beth Israel in NYC
Harvard - both Mass General and Brigham
MD Anderson
UTSW
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Stanford
Michigan State
Loyola
Univ. of Chicago
I think UCSD??
Cook County
Robert Wood Johnson
Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Univ of Pittsburgh
UVA
Univ of Washington
St. Vincents in NYC
Univ of Iowa

Anti PM&R pain fellowships:
Rush

PM&R based or strong PM&R presence ACGME accredited pain fellowships:
UCLA
U Colorado
Spaulding
U Mich
Northwestern
MCV
NRH/Georgetown (accredited??) - (a couple years ago got bad reputation for knowing they were going to take an internal candidate but interviewing external candidates anyway)
LSU
Temple (??) - Falco
Furman - possible new affiliation with a NY program
UCDavis

not accredited but popular(both spine and pain) - pretty much most of the PASSOR board members have good fellowships
Slipman (high volume, high workload, kind of scutty from what I could see - lots of internal politics - would definitely NOT apply to both this and the UPenn anesthesia fellowship)
RIC - has sports and spine fellowship (up to 2 spots) and ACGME accredited pain fellowship
Heidi Prather at St Louis
Sports/spine at UWash (??interventional opportunities)
Geraci in Buffalo
sports/spine fellowship at U Colorado
First PM&R based ACGME accredited sports medicine fellowship - UC Davis
good sports fellowship - Stanford
Kessler has a good sports fellowship
Jay Smith at Mayo
Bagnall also in Buffalo
Windsor in Atlanta (pm ampaphb or steve lobel for more info)
I think Goodman in Alabama lost his accreditation??(anyone care to confirm?)
Utah - good sports program
MCW - sports/spine fellowship with Hoch(sp)
Cleveland Clinic Spine fellowship
Florida Spine - Clearwater

**many of the more sports oriented fellowships will probably get ACGME accreditation in Sports Medicine

Feel free to keep adding.

In addition, there is a sticky for pain fellowship reviews that dates back several years - it covers both PM&R based and anesthesia based fellowships. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=144647

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For some reason the system wouldn't let me edit the list like we do with the yearly residency interview list. So here's my addition:

LSU - 2008/2009: one LSU PMR, one outside PMR, one Tulane Neuro

Some traditionally anesthesia run pain fellowships that have taken PM&R in the past:
Oregon
UPenn
Jefferson
Penn State
Beth Israel in NYC
MD Anderson
UTSW
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Stanford (swallowed up the former PM&R fellowship)
Michigan State
Loyola
Univ. of Chicago
I think UCSD??
Cook County
Robert Wood Johnson
Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Univ of Pittsburgh
UVA (took 2 PM&R this year, both internal candidates, but in the recent past there have been bad feelings between the two departments)
Univ of Washington
St. Vincents in NYC
Univ of Iowa
UCDavis (not a PM&R based program)

Rush

UCLA
U Colorado
Spaulding
U Mich (PM&R and Anesthesia do NOT get along, from what I have been told)
Northwestern
MCV
NRH/Georgetown (accredited??) - (a couple years ago got bad reputation for knowing they were going to take an internal candidate but interviewing external candidates anyway)
LSU (headed by a neurologist, taught by anesthesia, only PM&R presence is administrative)
Temple (??) - Falco

not accredited but popular(both spine and pain) - pretty much most of the PASSOR board members have good fellowships
Slipman (high volume, high workload, kind of scutty from what I could see - lots of internal politics - would definitely NOT apply to both this and the UPenn anesthesia fellowship - trained head of fellowships at MCV (DePalma), RIC (Plastaras), U of Rochester (Patel) and recent residency PD @ LIJ (Lipetz)
RIC - has sports and spine fellowship (up to 2 spots, highly regarded but NOT accredited) and ACGME accredited pain fellowship
Geraci in Buffalo
Kessler has a good sports fellowship (is it still good even after Dr. Malanga left?)
Jay Smith at Mayo
Bagnall also in Buffalo
I think Goodman in Alabama lost his accreditation??(anyone care to confirm?) (Confirmed)
Cleveland Clinic Spine fellowship (Multi-diciplinary - pm M3)
Florida Spine Institute - Clearwater (senior injectionist Robert Gruber left about a year ago, as did senior spine surgeon)
Hospital for Special Surgery (Greg Lutz)
BI New York (6 mo spine c Stuart Kahn, 6 mo sports c Robert Gotlin)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A few that I know of that are not on the list

not accredited but popular(both spine and pain)

Terry Nicola - UIC - Primarily sports (restarted this year after a 2 year gap)
Larry Frank - Sports and spine - Chicago

Oregon
UPenn
Jefferson
Penn State
Beth Israel in NYC
MD Anderson
UTSW
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Stanford (swallowed up the former PM&R fellowship)
Michigan State
Loyola
Univ. of Chicago
I think UCSD??
Cook County
Robert Wood Johnson
Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Univ of Pittsburgh
UVA (took 2 PM&R this year, both internal candidates, but in the recent past there have been bad feelings between the two departments)
Univ of Washington
St. Vincents in NYC
Univ of Iowa
UCDavis (not a PM&R based program)

Rush

UCLA
U Colorado
Spaulding
U Mich (PM&R and Anesthesia do NOT get along, from what I have been told)
Northwestern
MCV
LSU (headed by a neurologist, taught by anesthesia, only PM&R presence is administrative)
Temple (??) - Falco

Slipman (high volume, high workload, kind of scutty from what I could see - lots of internal politics - would definitely NOT apply to both this and the UPenn anesthesia fellowship - trained head of fellowships at MCV (DePalma), RIC (Plastaras), U of Rochester (Patel) and recent residency PD @ LIJ (Lipetz)
RIC - has sports and spine fellowship (up to 2 spots, highly regarded but NOT accredited) and ACGME accredited pain fellowship
Geraci in Buffalo
Kessler has a good sports fellowship (is it still good even after Dr. Malanga left?)
Jay Smith at Mayo
Bagnall also in Buffalo
I think Goodman in Alabama lost his accreditation??(anyone care to confirm?) (Confirmed)
Cleveland Clinic Spine fellowship (Multi-diciplinary - pm M3)
Florida Spine Institute - Clearwater (senior injectionist Robert Gruber left about a year ago, as did senior spine surgeon)
BI New York (6 mo spine c Stuart Kahn, 6 mo sports c Robert Gotlin)

The UVA program did take two PM&R residents...but one of them was from the Sinai/Baltimore program...not quite sure if thats "internal."

Also, furman is still working on the NUMC deal from what I hear...hasnt been finalized...and Im sure theres 9000 pages of paperwork that needs to be cleared first...

The UVA program did take two PM&R residents...but one of them was from the Sinai/Baltimore program...not quite sure if thats "internal."
My bad - I thought that was what I had been told, but I was obviously mistaken

A few that I know of that are not on the list

not accredited but popular(both spine and pain)

Larry Frank - Sports and spine - Chicago

So this fellowship is up and running again? I though it had been inactive for the past 3 years.

The UMDNJ/Kessler fellowship under Stitik and Foye is still good, and still reputable around here. Malanga has his own separate sports/spine/pain fellowship out of Morristown NJ. Both are non-accredited but popular.

Not to be confused with the Anesthesia-based pain fellowship associated with NY Presbyterian(Cornell)/Memorial Sloan-Kettering/HSS. Historically the NYP/MSKCC/HSS fellowship has been anti-PM&R, however this year supposedly they are interviewing non-anesthesia candidates. Time will tell.

So this fellowship is up and running again? I though it had been inactive for the past 3 years.

Is this the CINN position? As of last year it was not running...

The UMDNJ/Kessler fellowship under Stitik and Foye is still good, and still reputable around here. Malanga has his own separate sports/spine/pain fellowship out of Morristown NJ. Both are non-accredited but popular.

Not to be confused with the Anesthesia-based pain fellowship associated with NY Presbyterian(Cornell)/Memorial Sloan-Kettering/HSS. Historically the NYP/MSKCC/HSS fellowship has been anti-PM&R, however this year supposedly they are interviewing non-anesthesia candidates. Time will tell.

Stitik/Foye fellowship is alright...but you better count on living there. The average work day is 8am to 9 or 10pm at night including every other saturday. I think its pretty disorganized...a lot of bs charting, but they are very knowledeable and good guys.

Malanga's program is good...if you are primarily interested in sports with little interventional exposure...

Is this the CINN position? As of last year it was not running...

He left CINN last year and is currently private practice. He is currently interviewing for the fellowship position.

hello, why is passor dissolving, and how will this affect non-ACGME fellowship reputations if there is no standard or organizing body :confused:

See related thread on the end of PASSOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why wouldn't he be?

Has anything changed?

I heard from a very reliable source that he is no longer w/ Penn....I know nothing beyond that though
I called to make an appointment and was told, "He is out on indefinite medical leave"

You mean you called to snoop :laugh:

So this has nothing to do with the NASS sanction?

I know one of the fellows there this year - and she was from Sinai Baltimore. So I don't think they only took internal.

There was a political problem several years ago involving a fellow they took from the PM&R department who angered some of the anesthesia folks but i heard that is resolving.

I heard from a very reliable source that he is no longer w/ Penn....I know nothing beyond that though

I've looked into this a bit more. PM if you'd like.

One program that has not been mentioned is Dr. Fortin's program in Fort Wayne, IN. Anyone have insight into this program? Good :thumbup: , Bad?? :thumbdown:

One program that has not been mentioned is Dr. Fortin's program in Fort Wayne, IN. Anyone have insight into this program? Good :thumbup: , Bad?? :thumbdown:

I think that's the one drvlad2004 is doing now. Send him a private message. He's very willing to help/answer questions.

I think that's the one drvlad2004 is doing now. Send him a private message. He's very willing to help/answer questions.
LordAruis,

I sent you a PM. I forgot to include that Dr. Fortin takes 1-2 fellows a year. Altogether, I am very happy with the fellowship. It is constantly busy here. Thank goodness because there is not much exciting about Fort Wayne. I do love the tremendous amounts farmers market here for organic and home grown foods. Dr. Fortin will also teach you procedures that many interventionalists may not often do.

Last edited:
For instance ...
To be more clear, I am comparing to other PM&R spine physiatrists. I know you do a wide variety and often complicated number of procedures, ampaphb. Some procedures not often done by PM&R spine guys but done by Dr. Fortin include Intradiscal steriod injections, Intracostal nerve blocks, caudal with cath, caudal adhesiolysis, hip/shoulder arthrograms, and vertebroplasty. He does teach a whole lot on imaging. His experience with imaging starting with Dr. Charles Aprill. The fellowship is tough but I think has to be one of the more comprehensive spine fellowship.

Would anyone care to comment on the quality of fellowship training with Dr. Chou (philly) or Dr. Prather (St. Louis). Reading the descriptions in the AAPMR database, both fellowships seem like great places to train. Thanks.

Would anyone care to comment on the quality of fellowship training with Dr. Chou (philly) or Dr. Prather (St. Louis). Reading the descriptions in the AAPMR database, both fellowships seem like great places to train. Thanks.

Dr. Chou and Prather are both great teachers and mentors. It really depends on what you want out of fellowship. Neither are accredited for pain. Prather may become sports medicine accredited but I don't think that is the case right now. Prather's fellowship is more "academic". Larry Chou moved from Penn to private practice so it's probably more "private practice". They both trained at SSRC (Prather didn't do an official fellowship but learned from Joel Press). I rotated with Larry Chou when he was still at Penn and I thought he was a great teacher - lots of MSK/spine/EMG stuff. I know Dr. Prather and she has been a wonderful mentor. One of my friends will be one of her fellows next year.

In a spine/pain fellowship, how much exposure is there to sports medicine? Any programs that do a spine/sports med fellowship? Or would you have to do two individual fellowships on your own?

As far as the whole ACGME accredited vs. non-accredited, when does that really come into play? Is there any issue of finding a position afterwards, or is it more semantics?

I just finished a rotation with Dr. Chou before the holidays. He is fantastic as are the other physicians in the practice, as well as the staff. Even though it is a "private practice" and things move very quickly, he still clearly has the fellows' education as a top priority - morning conference Monday through Thursday, one of which is a journal club.

You would certainly be ready for a private practice position after this fellowship. The fellows I met were extremely happy to be working with Dr. Chou and very satisfied with the numbers of procedures they were getting. He's one of the most knowledgable, efficient, and fun docs I've ever met.

I did electives/interviews at both Drs. Prather and Chou. I really loved both of them. If you want to go into academics then Prather's fellowship in Wash U. St. Louis is ideal for that. Dr. Chou has an excellent private practice setup, which I would love to have someday. Both attendings are very nice people as well. The only negative of both is that cervical procedures are not done at either (Dr. Chou does only cervical facet blocks). You will notice that Drs. Willick, Chou, and Prather have their spine/sports fellowship set up like RIC's b/c they all trained there.

With the St. Louis fellowship, I spent a lot of time with Drs. Hunt and Metzger also. They are very good teachers. There is so much going on Barnes Jewish Hospital, not to mention a highly reknown orthopedics staff. The fellowship allows you flexibility to design it in the way you want.

I would like to get some feedback as to what PM&R sports med fellowships are in the process of getting accredited? I'm sure we'll here a lot about these in the coming months. If you know something pass it along.

I'm in Virginia at VCU and we are in the early stages of starting a sports med fellowship that will be PM&R and FP accredited and would have some EMG & Spine (hands-on for the PM&R grads). I was told by one of the involved attendings that they hoped to have the first fellow summer of 2010.

I'll keep you posted...

In a spine/pain fellowship, how much exposure is there to sports medicine? Any programs that do a spine/sports med fellowship? Or would you have to do two individual fellowships on your own?

As far as the whole ACGME accredited vs. non-accredited, when does that really come into play? Is there any issue of finding a position afterwards, or is it more semantics?

Stuart Willick's fellowship at the U of Utah is a spine/sports fellowship. Last I heard they were on the verge of receiving sports accreditation through the department of family med (already have a FP sports fellowship). Essentially, FP will pick two and PMR, one. I think the fellowship provides exposure to most cervical (including epidurals) to lumbar procedures. You'd get some RF in the lumbar spine. I don't think there's any SCS, spinal augmentation, or disc procedures (other than discos). There's great education in spine, EMG and sports, lots of opportunities to cover sports, and clinics are predominantly MSK, spine, and some sports.

Bottom line, if you want to do sports and get higher level spine procedures, this is a good fellowship. It seems that most other sports/spine fellowships are a little weaker on the upper spine component- i.e. do lumbar only. Obviously this is different in interventional spine fellowships.

Slipman (high volume, high workload, kind of scutty from what I could see - lots of internal politics - would definitely NOT apply to both this and the UPenn anesthesia fellowship)
RIC - has sports and spine fellowship (up to 2 spots) and ACGME accredited pain fellowship
Geraci in Buffalo
Kessler has a good sports fellowship
Jay Smith at Mayo
Bagnall also in Buffalo
I think Goodman in Alabama lost his accreditation??(anyone care to confirm?)
Cleveland Clinic Spine fellowship
Florida Spine - Clearwater

Not exactly sure how one updates the main sticky, but wanted to add that the University of Washington Sports and Spine fellowship does include lumbar and cervical interventional procedures.

Fundamentally, the fellowship is fairly similar to the University of Utah Sports/Spine fellowship mentioned above regarding the range of interventions, exposure to sports(including acute injuries), MSK, spine patients, EMG time etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as it stands now you can do an non-accredited sports med fellowship 2009-2010 and still sit for the ACGME boards. Correct? I think this may be the case if the fellowship has a decent track record already.

Unless you are a PGY 4 now entering a fellowship, you need to do a ACGME accredited fellowship in order to be board certified.

I understand UC Davis already has ACGME sports medicine accreditation and it was mentioned that the University of Utah program was in the process of applying for ACGME accreditation.

Does anyone know of any others sports or sports/spine programs that may be attaining ACGME accreditation in the next few years?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as it stands now you can do an non-accredited sports med fellowship 2009-2010 and still sit for the ACGME boards. Correct? I think this may be the case if the fellowship has a decent track record already.

Unless you are a PGY 4 now entering a fellowship, you need to do a ACGME accredited fellowship in order to be board certified.

I'd be interested in this response or a link to find the info.

I went to the AAPMR website and it was a bit confusing (fellowship must be ACGME accredited or "equivalent" to sit for the boards). Washington offers sports/spine, is this equivalent? Colorado offers a pain/sports, can I become double boarded if I get in here? I'm in the process of looking into fellowships and would rather be board eligible/certified after spending another year learning sports and/or spine and/or pain.

Also, if the pain fellowship is not ACGME then no BE/BC, right?

Thanks for your input in advance.:D

I'd be interested in this response or a link to find the info.

I went to the AAPMR website and it was a bit confusing (fellowship must be ACGME accredited or "equivalent" to sit for the boards). Washington offers sports/spine, is this equivalent? Colorado offers a pain/sports, can I become double boarded if I get in here? I'm in the process of looking into fellowships and would rather be board eligible/certified after spending another year learning sports and/or spine and/or pain.

Also, if the pain fellowship is not ACGME then no BE/BC, right?

Thanks for your input in advance.:D

I think "equivalent" basically means that you can petition the ABPMR and maybe submit a summary letter from you program director, and that someone on the board will decide if this qualifies.

With the new pain accreditation requirements, I can't see how any fellowship would be able to meet requirements for both pain and sports over a 12 month fellowship. I'd imagine that if they went for sports accreditation, they would give up pain accrediation, or not participate fully with the existing anesthesia pain fellowship.

If Sports and Interventional Spine are what you're interested in, what I'd do looking to the future is find a sports/spine fellowship with a good procedural mix, that is planning on getting sports accreditation.

If/when a pain residency develops, pain fellowships would be phased out over a number of years and Physiatrists would no longer be able to be pain specialists. Does that mean Physiatrists would no longer perform interventional spinal procedures? Hardly.

The ABPMR at that point would be forced to create some kind of Spine certification or Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) if they're not interested in creating a new subspecialty.

So, you would qualify to be Sports Med boarded, and then take another exam for your procedures.

Of course, you would want to first go to a residency that provided good basic MSK and EMG training to get that out of the way as well.

Alternatively, you could do a sports accredited sports/spine fellowhip, take the ABPM exam (banking on this becoming the Pain Board if a pain residency develops) and then take your Sports Med board exam.

Option C is to do an accredited pain fellowship followed by an accredited sports fellowship or vice versa, the drawback being that it would stretch your training out to 6 years and you would have to apply/interview during for the second fellowship while you are completing the first one. May as well have gone into Orthopedic Surgery if that's the case.

Kind of sucks that the standard PM&R board certification doesn't really qualify you to do much in the MSK arena anymore.

Last edited:
Washington offers sports/spine, is this equivalent? Colorado offers a pain/sports, can I become double boarded if I get in here? I'm in the process of looking into fellowships and would rather be board eligible/certified after spending another year learning sports and/or spine and/or pain.

There is currently a window (through the 2011 exam for those finishing their PM&R sport/spine fellowship by July 31, 2011) by which if you do a sports/spine fellowship with a fairly strong sports component that resembles ACGME-certified fellowships, you can petition to sit for the sports medicine boards. Doing one of the stronger (academic) Sport/Spine fellowships such as Utah, Colorado, RIC, Washington, etc should work for this for the next few years.

Colorado is the only PM&R sports/spine fellowship that is also an ACGME accredited pain fellowship. It's the only such program in the country (for the next few years) where you can actually sit for both Pain and Sports boards when you're done. (Though you have to petition to take the sports boards since it's not ACGME sports accredited similar to the other PM&R sports/spine fellowships).

As was mentioned earlier, you could always take the ABPM pain boards even if you didn't do an ACGME pain fellowship, as there are several pain certifying bodies out there. However, obtaining ABPM certification carries much less weight than ABMS pain certification does after a ACGME pain fellowship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Colorado is primarily pain and doesn't do much sports.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Colorado is primarily pain and doesn't do much sports.
Colorado also does a lot of sports. They cover quite a few teams in Denver and Boulder. According to PASSOR, 33% of the fellowship is sports.

Does anyone have any information regarding the following fellowships?

1) Dr. Furman's - is it a pain accredited or sports accredited? What's the quality of training with regards to intervention?

2)MCOW's "rehab" pain fellowship - I get the sense its more anesthesia baed.

Thanks!

I know 2 classmates that have had his training from Dr. Furman or previously trained there. The fellowship is very strong and highly sought after among PASSOR fellowship. Furman's fellowship is very well rounded in spine. He also does a lot of EMGs. Last time I heard, it is no longer ACGME pain accredited. I am now totally out of the loop if Furman is still looking to get accredited with my alma mater Nassau. Definitely apply to this program and apply EARLY!

Dr. Furman's application materials state that they are no longer pain accredited but are taking steps to become re-accredited and will have more information after August.

I am a current fellow in York with Dr Furman-if oyu want any imformation let me know

Any word on the Mayo (Rochester and Phoenix) pain programs?

The 2009 "Academy Recognized Fellowship Directory" can be found here: http://is.gd/2k3C6 (accessible only if you are a member of the AAPM&R).

The PM&R programs at Spaulding, York, PA (Dr. Furman's program), and the University of Michigan are no longer ACGME accredited pain programs, leaving only Colorado, UCLA. Temple (Dr. Falco's program) is also accredited, although listed in dirctory. The UC Davis and Emory programs are also included on the list, but both are run through Anesthesia Departments.

MCV has an ACGME accredited program with 6 available positions, according to the ACGME website. I mention this because the MCV pain program, which has been included in the directory in previous years, was left off the 2009 list altogether. The one position in MCV's non-accredited spine program is included on the list. Dr. DePalma, the director of the spine program, is also the Chair of the Academy Fellowship/Elective Directory Work Group.

Last edited:
The 2009 "Academy Recognized Fellowship Directory" can be found here: http://is.gd/2k3C6 (accessible only if you are a member of the AAPM&R).

The PM&R programs at Spaulding, York, PA (Dr. Furman's program), and the University of Michigan are no longer ACGME accredited pain programs, leaving only Colorado, UCLA. Temple (Dr. Falco's program) is also accredited, although listed in dirctory. The UC Davis and Emory programs are also included on the list, but both are run through Anesthesia Departments.

MCV has an ACGME accredited program with 6 available positions, according to the ACGME website. I mention this because the MCV pain program, which has been included in the directory in previous years, was left off the 2009 list altogether. The one position in MCV's non-accredited spine program is included on the list. Dr. DePalma, the director of the spine program, is also the Chair of the Academy Fellowship/Elective Directory Work Group.

Thanks for posting about this.

- Why include UCDavis and Emory (as Anesthesia-run fellowships) and not all of the other AGCME pain fellowships? There are certainly plenty more places that "accept" Physiatrists.

- Is there a reason why Temple/Falco and MCV were left off, rather then an oversight?

- Do the formerly accredited Pain fellowships that are now trying to obtain Sports Medicine accred. hope to secure future procedural privileges in this manner?

-Re UMich: That's definitely news to me. I thought that they had both unaccredited Spine spots as well as accredited Pain spots "reserved" for Physiatrists in the Anesthesia-accredited program. Has this changed recently or was I just incorrect? I know that there are a few other programs that work like that and can understand why they weren't included on this list, as they are not PM&R-based, but the inclusion of Emory and UCD make this a little odd.

Last edited:
I don't think programs were "left off" or purposely removed. I remember getting an e-mail from the academy a couple of months ago with an attachment to fill out the yearly program form to have an entry in the guide this year. So, if a program director didn't bother to fill out the form and send it in, then the program's not going to be listed.

Regarding the "pain" fellowships, you have to remember, this is an AAPMR sponsored fellowship guide. I don't think any anesthesia program directors have any desire to request a listing. If you look at the entry for Emory, one of the listed instructors is the program director for their PM&R residency program, so I'm sure he throught it would be a good idea that the fellowship be listed.

The UC-Davis anesthesia pain is well know to train Physiatrists, but the one listed in the guide is their PM&R sports fellowship.

There's uncertainty as to whether the AAPMR is going to continue sponsoring PM&R fellowships. Go the Pain and MSK council meetings at the annual assembly this year where I'm sure these things are going to be discussed. Should be quite interesting/entertaining after ampa's e-mail blast.:D

I don't think programs were "left off" or purposely removed. I remember getting an e-mail from the academy a couple of months ago with an attachment to fill out the yearly program form to have an entry in the guide this year. So, if a program director didn't bother to fill out the form and send it in, then the program's not going to be listed.

Regarding the "pain" fellowships, you have to remember, this is an AAPMR sponsored fellowship guide. I don't think any anesthesia program directors have any desire to request a listing. If you look at the entry for Emory, one of the listed instructors is the program director for their PM&R residency program, so I'm sure he throught it would be a good idea that the fellowship be listed.

The UC-Davis anesthesia pain is well know to train Physiatrists, but the one listed in the guide is their PM&R sports fellowship.

There's uncertainty as to whether the AAPMR is going to continue sponsoring PM&R fellowships. Go the Pain and MSK council meetings at the annual assembly this year where I'm sure these things are going to be discussed. Should be quite interesting/entertaining after ampa's e-mail blast.:D
thank you