Pain Physicians and Legal Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Machinery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this article and I was curious how often pain physicians end up in trouble with the law. Not saying anything about this particular case but It seems to me like there is a lot of opportunity for improper prosecution. Does anyone know how common this happens in pain medicine? I also found this site which was also kind of interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

You can also go on the DEA diversion "cases against doctors" website. I think if you're practicing good medicine, and documenting as such, you should have nothing to worry about. That being said, false accusations can occur, like with every other crime.

It's good to read this stuff from time to time, to remind yourself how serious consequences can be for people that go astray.

Most of the people who get in trouble dabble in pain. The old orthopod who wants to make six or seven figures doling out scripts once he stops operating. The PCP who keeps escalating short actings, without adequate documentation. Anyone who is silly enough to go work for a xanaxsomanorco pill mill.

The pain guys I know who have caught the attention of the authorities are either egregious (writing scripts in the face of UDS's positive for illicits, writing for 10s or 100s of pills a day), or doing something overtly stupid like trading sex for scripts, or dealing illicits directly out of their offices (local guy was sent to federal pen for distributing pot and MDMA to underage patients).