1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

pakgirl, could you take a look?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by grettlin, Mar 15, 2002.

1. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I read your post on status board. Is it possilbe to give me your email address
    that I can ask some qustions? I am going to apply next year. Thanks a lot!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pakgirl

pakgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

hey,
    Sorry I just saw your post. Try clicking on the "send private message link" on a message I have written. Let me know if that works.

pakgirl

4. pakgirl

pakgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I just changed my options so you can send me a message.

5. pakgirl

pakgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Here it goes....

1. When applying to the three Texas schools (UT-San Antonio, UT-Houston, and Baylor) keep in mind that all these schools are public so they really want TEXAS residents. They might take a few out-of-staters but those spots are higly competetive.
    If let's say you are an resident of a state without a dental school (ie Arkansas) then they will consider your app.

By the way, I am a Texas resident but right now live in Nebraska. So that's how I was offered interviews at all 3 schools.

2. I interviewed at all 3 schools: Baylor then San Antonio and last but not least Houston.
    I sent in my TMDSAS app (TX residents apply thru TMDSAS and not thru AADSAS) in June (app available in May). Remember, the early the better.

3. Baylor College of Dentistry
    Interview:
    I interviewed at Baylor in early September (I think we were the first or second group of interviewees). Being my first interview I was extremely nervous but things went well. You interview with 3 people (it varies who based on which day you interview). The questions are pretty straightforward ie Why dentistry, motivation, etc. As in all interviews just make sure you are familiar with your essay and application and don't forget to ask each interviewer a different question since they often compare notes.
    You meet with current students and tour the facilities. Definitely use this opportunity to ask as many questions as you can since the students DO NOT affect the committee's decision in any way. I remember seeing so many interviewees that were too embarrassed to ask questions but that is what the students are there for!!!

My opinion of the school: very nice and reputable school
    Although not affiliated with Baylor in any way, it is part of Texas A&M Health Sciences Center and still has a good reputation.
    The dentist I shadowed actually graduated from there in 1995.
    The facilities were nice, students seemed happy to be there. The only negative aspect for me was the location....near downtown, other than the nursing school you are pretty isolated from other health prof. schools, no real places to go near school but that is probably why their cafeteria is so great.

4. San Antonio:
    Interview: one professor, one student
    questions similar to Baylor
    You again get to tour the school and meet with the students.
    My opinion of the school:
    Out of the 3 schools, they have the nicest and newest clinical facilities, state of the art.
    All textbooks are in the form of a DVD and you are required to purchase a laptop which is a MAC
    Location is nice, close to the other professional schools med, nursing, etc. and not in a really busy area of town.
    The students again were really nice.
    I personally found the no text and only computer text thing a bit annoying and especially that you are required to buy a MAC which I haven't used since high school!
    Again, definitely impressed with their facilities. The computer thing is just based on personal preference and learning style.

5. UT-Houston
    Interview:
    The questions are similar and the process is laid back as at the other schools, except here you interview with one professor. You meet with the head of student affairs (as at the other 2 schools, I think I forgot to say that above) and they tell you about their school, app process, etc and informally ask questions to the whole group of interviewees.
    Again you meet with the students and tour the facilities.

My opinion:
    Of the three schools, Houston is the oldest dental school. Their facilities will be updated in 2005, when they will be getting a new bldg I think. Anyway, their facilities are nice, not as nice as San Antonio though. They have the smallest class size (65) versus the other two at 90 each. I found that really nice for more personalized attention. The location is great, right in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. I think this provides great oppurtunities to interact with other med. professions. They give mock board exams before your actual boards and I thought that was a great thing to have. Their overall interview day was the best of the three: they served breakfast and lunch and handed out a CD-rom of info about the school.

Why I chose UT-Houston:
    1. I love the city of Houston!!! (I grew up 80 miles north of the city and have always wanted to live here)
    2. Loved the smaller class size,more intimate feel.
    3. Has a good reputation, as all of the 3 schools share.
    4. The professors seemed to really love dentistry.
    5. My parents live within an hour drive and my husband found a great job in the city.
    6. My best friend will be going to UT-med school in August!

I hope this all helped you. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions! Let me just say that I think all the schools are great in their own way. As Dr. Pierpont at UT-Houston said it, we are fortunate to have 3 great dental schools in Texas. If you went to the first years at each dental school, they would all be different so you can't compare exactly each school. You just have to look at where you are accepted and where you see yourself living for 4 years!

Sorry for getting so carried away with this reply!