Palliative fellowship 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geripalgal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applying to palliative this year? I'm trying to get a feel for how competitive it will be. As its the first year in the match, there is no prior data to go by...

How do you think the palliative match will be affected by the below (and yes, i know its generally a non competitive speciality, but i imagine the top programs will always remain competitive)

1) in past years, applications were accepted on a rolling basis upto 18 months before start date, now the application cycle is shortened to 12 months prior to start date.

2) the palliative match timing coincided with but is otherwise separate from the medicine specialties match - so applicants interested in related fields like heme onc or geri can only apply for either the palliative match OR the other specialty match but cannot rank both specialities on one rank list.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received any interview invites yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congrats!
Man, it's pretty dead on this subforum. ;(

Any IMGs who need visas have any issues getting interviews?

AMG here, does anyone know if programs send out rejections or if interviews are still being sent out? I haven't received any rejections and wondering if I'm just being ghosted by the programs I haven't heard from

I got my application out later than I anticipated because of LORs so I wonder if that may be part of the issue. Still waiting to hear from UPMC, UCLA, UCSF, Northwestern and some others. Not sure if it's appropriate to contact them to see if they only send out invites or send out invites and rejections. I've received some interviews but no rejections and just not sure how the process is working this year. It might be partly because its new to the NRMP match? I don't know. From reading the message boards it seems that programs used to send out rejections but individual programs' websites show that they interview in Sept and October so perhaps it's early? All seems very opaque.

I didnt apply to any of those programs, mostly to the north east. I know that mt sinai and i think hopkins are atil reviewing apps. I think palliative programs might be a bit slower because of the match,but i hope the other programs send out interviews soon or they will miss out! Ive almost maximized the number of interview days im allowed to take, so will probably be declining any further invites unfortunatley.

I have no idea how competitive things are this year... How many interviews do you think will be safe? I can only go on 4 ...

I applied pretty broadly and I've only heard from a handful, no rejection notifications...yet.

If its just the three of us applying i guess we will be safe haha

Haha, I hope. I only have two interviews set up at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 7 places, heard back from 4 of them. The remaining three were reaches, not expecting much there. I also applied a bit late.

I applied late too, have 4 interviews all in the midwest. No love from the coasts.

I also applied late. One interview request so far, but still waiting on two LoRs that should be in this week. Glad to hear that I'm not alone.

I applied to 7, heard from 4, still waiting on 3, but dont know if i can go on anymore. All in northeast. Really worried that 4 wont be enough any more - yikes!!

Received another invite recently, still only 3 interviews set up at the moment. I have the same problem as many of you, time is running out in terms of scheduling interviews. Unfortunately I'll be on night shift for the next month so that completely takes out a whole month of potential interviewing. I hope they are interviewing into November...

Anyone hear from UW Seattle, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, or UCSF?

Hopkins was supposed to send out invites soon but havent heard anything this week. Anyone heard from sinai? I thought they were going to send out on the 4th.... Guess not for me :(

Rejections from UPenn, UCSF!
I haven't heard from Sinai.

I applied to 7 places, heard back from 4 of them. The remaining three were reaches, not expecting much there. I also applied a bit late.

Are there truly programs in HPM that are considered reaches? My understanding was that HPM was not particularly competitive.

Hello there! I'm an applicant too :) Applied to 17 programs and have 9 interviews. But looks like I haven't applied to the big programs anyway.
Good luck to us all!

I'm surprised by the ratio of number of interviews compared to number of programs applied to. I would have expected the ratio to be closer to 1, especially this late in the season.

What worried me is the ratio of candidates per interview - i asked at a couple of place and most seem to be trying to interview 8 per spot.... I have to wonder if the same small pool of people ( by geographical area) are being invited vs the group of hpm hopefuls is bigger than i thought it would be. In the end im going to 6 interviews, 7 if i can get coverage but unlikely at this point - hoping 6 is safe for hpm to match...

Didnt apply to seattle area - so dont know!
Tec, how close did your interview to application ratio get? Hopefully as close to 1 as possible!

They are still sending invitations guys! I got one more today 10/17

I have a ratio of 1:3. I'm really happy with the programs I am interviewing at, so no complaints. Just surprised.

Any more invites in the last week? It's been quiet for me.

Actually, still receiving interview invites as of lately.

Received my last invite 5 Oct and now finished interviewing.

I went on my last one a week ago. Now to wait till dec...

I've still got one more to go, potentially could've had another but cancelled it.

Matched to my top choice! Congrats for everyone else who matched

Also matched at my top choice :). Anyone else heading to UPMC?

Hey guys. Does anyone know the timeline for dea license? Are fellows allowed to apply for it or do you need a fulllicencse? Can u apply for it end of pgy3 with your trainnee license? Dont want to blow $700 dollars if the training license isnt considered valid...

My program told me that I will be under the institutional DEA while in training. Also, an application for a trainee license was in my on-boarding packet. I could have applied for a full license, but since my long-term plans aren't set, I opted to not get an unrestricted license at my training location to save the money. If I later opt to moonlight, then I will need to get a full license.

Hope this helps!