Palm Beach Atlantic only for Christians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajmataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in this school and what it has to offer. But I'm not Christian.
Does the school have religious preference in their applicants?
How much is religion integrated into their academics?

Should I even APPLY?!

Members don't see this ad.

ajmataz said:

Should I even APPLY?!

They accept people from all religions. I'm pretty sure that you have to attend weekly chapel. Maybe someone who attends the school can fill us in. I almost went there, but withdrew my app when I got accepted by UF.

I'm not Christian either, but it is really easy to bamboozle them during interviews.

dgroulx said:
I'm not Christian either, but it is really easy to bamboozle them during interviews.

you mean fake it??

Members don't see this ad :)
ajmataz said:
you mean fake it??

Yeah, it's easy. I've found through my vast life experiences (I'm 49) that it is easy to fool people, especially those who are very trusting. I don't think that it occurs to Christians that a person would pretend to be Christian to get what they want. Just look at how easily the republican party manipulated the religious right to gain an advantage in elections. It is very easy to get someone to believe you are a devout Christian.

dgroulx said:
Yeah, it's easy. I've found through my vast life experiences (I'm 49) that it is easy to fool people, especially those who are very trusting. I don't think that it occurs to Christians that a person would pretend to be Christian to get what they want. Just look at how easily the republican party manipulated the religious right to gain an advantage in elections. It is very easy to get someone to believe you are a devout Christian.

how would one do that? I think it may be possible, if the interviewer is not Christian. If the interviewer is Christian, then they should have prayed for discernment when evaluating applications, and when that is given a "light" will go off about that "pretender".

animal_lover said:
how would one do that? I think it may be possible, if the interviewer is not Christian. If the interviewer is Christian, then they should have prayed for discernment when evaluating applications, and when that is given a "light" will go off about that "pretender".

What do I fill out on their supplemental application when it asks for religion?!

hahaha, future pharmacists debating ways to scam acceptances and how to lie and fool people during interpersonal contact.

you're well on your way guys!

PBA seems to be more about ethics and morals that may parallel Christianity. You don't need to be Christian. I doubt you even need to believe in God... but I suspect they would prefer for you to hold similar morals. Otherwise, if your conscience can withstand lying to people to their face like that then go for it.

PBA is a very very religious school. Two of my friends graduated last year, and they say that telling them you are Christian helps a lot during the interview process. If they have two applicants with the exact same stats, they will choose the Christian one.

Also, another friend of mine got rejected this year because she told them that she was a single mother, and it was obvious that they didn't like it during her interview.
However, she got accepted at UF since she got a 4.0 GPA and 99% PCAT score.

ajmataz said:

Should I even APPLY?!
Well, putting aside the question of how much you should or shouldn't lie about your religious preference, you might consider how comfortable you would be for 4 years in that type of atmosphere if you aren't Christian. I have attended church my whole life and consider myself Christian, but I have always been in liberal Protestant denominations who don't believe in shoving Jesus at everybody. I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable at a school described as "very very religious".

Julientampa said:
PBA is a very very religious school. Two of my friends graduated last year, and they say that telling them you are Christian helps a lot during the interview process. If they have two applicants with the exact same stats, they will choose the Christian one.

Also, another friend of mine got rejected this year because she told them that she was a single mother, and it was obvious that they didn't like it during her interview.
However, she got accepted at UF since she got a 4.0 GPA and 99% PCAT score.

I love when actual representatives from the school, who sat on the application review committee post here regarding specific information on why a particular candidate was chosen, or not.

Oh wait, you actually have no clue as to why your friend wasn't accepted. Stop posting anecdotes that are baseless.

i have a friend... who has a cousin.... who knows this guy... whose friend's grandson... goes to PBA....

apparently before every test they make you swear on the Bible.... and if you refuse its an automatic F

how much of this is true and how much of this is heresay?

all i am wondering is how comfortable would a non-christian (and i'm NOT lying to the admissions committee) fit in/feel comfortable about PBA?

i just don't know enough information about PBA and whether i should apply.

ajmataz said:

all i am wondering is how comfortable would a non-christian (and i'm NOT lying to the admissions committee) fit in/feel comfortable about PBA?

Every year on this board, students get accepted to PBA. They are all happy and then they disappear. I'm wondering if they forbid students from SDN.
:scared: You never know.

I went to a Catholic university. We did mission work, helped the sisters with Thanksgiving dinner for the poor, etc. You don't have to be a Christian to want to help your fellow man.

I can understand about the comfort level, though. I wouldn't be comfortable if they forced you to pray to their God during weekly chapel.

ajmataz said:

Is there a special reason why you're focusing just on PBA? There are 90+ other schools... If it's causing this much worry, I wouldn't think applying there would be worth it.

Yes their reps came to a Pre-Pharm meeting last year. For sure, there is a mandatory weekly chapel, but it is most likely a daily prayer as well but I can't remember for how long, could be up to an hour during lunch or so...

ajmataz said:

Should I even APPLY?!
If you want information on if you should apply or not then go to the interview feedback portion of the page and read about PBA. It will answer your questions. They have to do so many hours of bible classes and attend chaple. I suggest you go there it was helpful for me :) I will definitly apply

rxlynn said:
Well, putting aside the question of how much you should or shouldn't lie about your religious preference, you might consider how comfortable you would be for 4 years in that type of atmosphere if you aren't Christian.

Exactly. I had an offer from BYU for another program once. They had no problem with me being non-Mormon, but they did expect me to comply with their code of conduct (which included going to church, keeping my hair short, shaving my beard, and following a strict curfew among a host of other things). It was not so difficult for me to realize that BYU and I were not going to get along.

That doesn't mean that one shouldn't apply to schools with religious affiliations, just make sure that you know what you're getting into. I have a friend in PT school at Regis University in Denver (a Catholic school). They have some religious orientation to the instruction, but my friend just shrugs it off and stays respectful. Religion never came up in the interview process. She loves it there.

Troy