palm/blackberry/blackjack during the first 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
its now time to get a new phone for me. i just realized, for just about $50-75 bucks and a 2 year agreement, i can get a blackberry. it would be nice to have it, even though i hate typing in that tiny keyboard. i was just wondering if any of u guys think it would be useful to have one. actually i like a phone with gps system; but those phones with gps comes with all kinds of other crap!

Members don't see this ad.

spend a little more and get an iphone, trust me it's worth it. Everything you want and very easy to use. I don't know who your provider is but if it's AT&T, go for the iphone.

If you want the PDA based medication/quick references palm is the way to go.(the pocket references are fine anyway) Otherwise just get whatever you like the most. Most of our Doc's have ditched their palm phones for blackberry and are going back to the pocket books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't these programs run on windows mobile based machines? I think that's an option as well.

There's no need for a pda/smartphone during the first two years of med school. During the 3rd and 4th years you may want to get one though.

You could always go with a 16gb iPod Touch. A VoIP program has just been released, as well as a tiny mic (goes into dock slot), so you get free phone service anywhere you have wifi (most medical campuses, major cities, offices, etc.). There are dozens of emulators so you can run any windows mobile program, as well as palm programs. Also, it's a pretty kick-butt iPod. Even watching movies and tv shows on it looks great.

I couldn't rationalize paying for a blackberry plus the data plan, so I got a blackjack for $100 after rebate and am really happy with it - I originally bought the Treo 750 and it died on me two days after I bought it. The only problem I have with it is that it has no Wifi capability.

I also heard that at many medical schools the students are actually provided with either Treos or Blackberries courtesy of the pharm reps.

I couldn't rationalize paying for a blackberry plus the data plan, so I got a blackjack for $100 after rebate and am really happy with it - I originally bought the Treo 750 and it died on me two days after I bought it. The only problem I have with it is that it has no Wifi capability.

I also heard that at many medical schools the students are actually provided with either Treos or Blackberries courtesy of the pharm reps.

What med school is this, because I need to transfer.

You could always go with a 16gb iPod Touch. A VoIP program has just been released, as well as a tiny mic (goes into dock slot), so you get free phone service anywhere you have wifi (most medical campuses, major cities, offices, etc.). There are dozens of emulators so you can run any windows mobile program, as well as palm programs. Also, it's a pretty kick-butt iPod. Even watching movies and tv shows on it looks great.

Emulators? Eh? You're not saying you can run palm/windows programs on an iphone potentially, are you?

I have not seen that happen very often. Many medical schools include a pda in with tuition, but students get frustrated at some places because they don't even use them much, especially at first.

Also, I have a serious issue with pharm reps if they are given treos and blackberries to med students. Pens and lunch are one thing, but that is ridiculous if true. Patients pay enough for their medications, they don't need increased cost because pharm reps are trying to win clueless students over to write more scripts.

Anyway, iphone is very good and convienent. Keep in mind, with these phones, it is not the cost of the phone that is the issue. It is the plan. I have a friend that got an iphone and sold it 3 months later. He just couldn't rationalize paying $100 dollars a month for a plan he said he didn't even use much of. The internet thing is still kind of gimmicky to me. Most people can last an hour or two away from a computer just fine. They have those cheaper blackberries, which are very well liked and seem to be a solid phone.

This shouldn't really be posted in pre-allo either. There is a tech forum and an unmoderated forum. Probably should be moved to one of those by a mod.

Apple's so awesome you just can't wait to run Windows on their machines :p

Heheheh. I just miss a few of my palm programs. The google map that comes with the iphone is great, but I do miss all of the reviews and functionaliby of Vindigo. And from what I've heard, a lot of med school/residency useful apps are palm/windows based. But I've got awhile til I get to third year anyway I suppose....

There's no need for a pda/smartphone during the first two years of med school. During the 3rd and 4th years you may want to get one though.

Second this. Save your money. At the end of second year, use the money you saved to buy whatever is state of the art at that point. Technology will change between now and then and you will be outdated. So no need to go into med school with something fancy. Get a cheap cell phone like everyone else until you actually need more. Except at a rare school you will not be using a PDA for anything during the basic sci years.