palm computers

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by amyb, Feb 18, 2000.

1. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

I am considering buying a palm pilot, or handspring version, for my upcoming rotations. If you have one, how has it helped you and do you think it is advantageous over the popular spiral bound books that have traditionally weighted pockets? How easy is it to use/figure out and does the same software work for the Palm Pilot and the Handspring model?
    Thanks!

P.S. How do residents/attendings and other staff respond to their use?

2. Bren

Bren Member
    10+ Year Member

I was also thinking about getting a palm, (when I start rotations in 2 years)...

I found a great site that shows some programs the palm can run.
    www.handheldmed.com

Bren

3. waffle

waffle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Amy,

I've used my palm throughout my third year med school during all of my rotations. The residents think it's a neat little gadget when you wip it out to answer some questions they have. They think that you are well organized. I've got a patient management software I use that pretty much replaces any paper work. It's just so much more convenient when everything is in my palm. I also use the lexidrug software, which is a database for drugs, along with the 5 minute clinical consult. These become really handy when I need to look up stuff fast. I've also have a whole bunch of miscelaneous medical software such as A-a gradient calculators etc....
    As a result, I don't carry ANY books in my pockets since I have my little palm. I've used a Palm IIIx with an additional 4mb bringing it to a total of 8mb. Those databases take a lot of memory!
    Nowadays, for the price, I'd probably go for the new Visors with 8mb. They're much cheaper and will take that extra module on the back.
    I love my palm, and seriously, I don't think I could have done so well clinically without it. Whenever an attending asks a question to the group, I have enough time to search it in my palm before someone could come up with the answer. That may not be fair, but it's an advantage you have with this little gadget.

Hope this helps,

------------------
    waffle ;)
    BU School of Medicine
    MS3
    Scutwork.com

4. psi1467

psi1467 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious, how much does one of those little gadgets set you back?

5. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

waffle,

Thanks so much for your reply, the only people I know with those things are my second year cohorts, and what do we know abut rotations?!? LOL Just to make sure, the "Visor" that you spoke of is the Handspring model, right? I heard that was the better one to buy, and cheaper at about 250$. Do you know if the software is compatible for both companies? And to answer someones question, I think the PalmIII or IV is running about 325$ these days, but I know alot of people who got one, unopened, from e-bay and the like.

Amy

6. waffle

waffle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Amy,

Indeed, I'm talking about the visor from Handspring. I don't know how easy it is to get one from them since they had some delivery issues a few months ago. However, they are cheaper and have a better upgrade path than the pilot. I think you can get a visor cheaper if you by it direct than a pilot from Ebay. You should check it out though. Just my opinion, I think you should get something with 8mb ram if you decide to use things like Lexidrugs or 5 minute medical consult, which I think are very useful. That's why I'm recommending the visor. I believe they have a model which comes with 8mb standard. The pilot IIIx has 4mb. I've added a third party 4mb memory which costs over $100. The pilot Vx now has 8mb and looks sharp too, but is expensive. For the price, you really cannot beat the visor. However, those software cost money too. They usually cost the equivalent to the textbook they replace.
    Regarding the software. Everything that works with the palmpilot should work with the visor since they both use the exact same operating system. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.
    About ebay, make sure that your warrantee is still active.

Regards,

------------------
    waffle ;)
    BU School of Medicine
    MS3
    Scutwork.com