1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Palm or Windows OS

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by Dr Girlfriend, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dr Girlfriend

Dr Girlfriend Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I noticed the Treo comes with either Palm or Windows OS. Does it matter which one I choose? Can the we run the software we care about on either OS?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on your operating system and what you want to do with it. Palm OS has traditionally been easier to use and is more compatible with Macs. Windows Mobile is more advanced than Palm OS, and there are equally as many programs available for it as Palm OS. However, sync'ing with Macs might be a problem. There are programs available, but some programs are not well developed for use with Mac/Windows Mobile combo.

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've always found the Palm OS faster and easier to use. Similar operations usually take additional steps to accomplish on Windows Mobile compared to the Palm OS. When you use your PDA dozens of times a day, these really add up.

Additionally, the fact that Windows Mobile doesn't automatically close a program when you switch out of it has always annoyed me. Many people tout multitasking as an advantage, but for most PDA-type tasks, it just gets in the way.

Basically, it boils down to personal preference.

5. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!
    10+ Year Member

If you want flawless syncing with a Mac you'll need to get the Treo 680 and also purchase The Missing Sync. Highly recommended!:thumbup:

6. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second the motion for the Missing Sync. Its feature set puts Palm's HotSync conduit to shame.

7. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm also a very happy Missing Sync user. It makes sync'ing my Palm calendar and contacts easy with iCal and Address Book.

8. cromagnon

7+ Year Member

i picked up the palm version of the treo (700p) last week and cannot stand it. palm OS/garnet is OLD and crappy. Basic things (voice-dialing, decent email, mp3 ringtones) that you would expect a decent smartphone to do out of the box require purchasing add-on programs. many palm users also run a separate launcher/gui skinning program cause the standard palm interface looks like a throwback to 15 years ago. the standard palm browser "blazer" totally blows as well (slow, problems displaying some content, delays in closing browser/cache emptying.) additionally, you cant really multitask with palm OS, which makes the second or two of staring at a blank screen while the browser exits that much more annoying. I really was surprised at how bad it is, seeming as how there are so many people that love their palm based treos.

One thing I have noticed is that if you are a mac person you will probably dig Palm OS. If you are comfortable with windows then you will probably prefer windows mobile. As for me the 700p is getting traded in for the 700wx (wm version) tomorrow. unfortunately, my school requires a palm device for clinical tracking. so i will be carrying a cheap palm pda (z22) expressly for that purpose. Still worth it though in my opinion.

Check out this link for a demo of windows mobile 6 in action
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7772038415366662699&q=treo+750+6

my best advice to you would be to wait if at all possible. the treo's are bricks and the Q and blackjack are underpowered. the phones coming out later this year are going to combine the smaller form factor with more capability.

good luck with your choice.