Palm Pilots....anyone using them in med school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a palm pilot. Will this be a very useful tool in medical school, or just an unnecessary nuisance!?!?! Anyone currently using one who would like to share their thoughts?????

Members don't see this ad.

do a search on this, there are a lot of discussions to help you.

learn how to download programs to your palm and it will be extremely useful.

i use mine every day.

Yeah, its very useful, especially in the clinical years with reference books. Check out the website <a href="http://www.pdamd.com" target="_blank">www.pdamd.com</a>. It has lots of great info and free downloads.

Members don't see this ad :)
tcom06:

I find mine invaluable in my clinical rotations, but didn't use it that much during the first two years. It's good to have one, certainly, as you'll have time to learn how to use it efficiently before you start your rotations in your 3d and 4th years.

Good luck,
lumbrical

Palm pilots are definitely more useful during the clinical years. However, if you afford one earlier, it can certainly be useful for everyday use as well.

I used my palm pilot a lot in the beginning of my clinical years (of which I"m still in)... I have mixed opinions... I remember more of it when I read it in an actual textbook, and not on a 2x3 screen... and I've heard a couple attendings talk negatively about students using them a lot...

on the plus side it does help you find something real quick for a pimp question or you're looking at the chart and aren't quite sure where to turn next. But I've found buying the House Officer Series almost as quick (if not quicker) than a palm... just get the rotation you're in and it will have the info you need. But as an intern/resident I think the palm would help 10x more.