1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Palm Programs for Med Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mr.annoying, Jun 17, 2002.

1. mr.annoying

mr.annoying Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everybody, I just got a Palm as a graduation present and wanted to know what programs are helpful for med students. I know there was a post about this a LONG time ago, but I can't find it. So far I just know of ePocrates. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Here are some good things to have:

1.Dorlands medical dictionary
    2.Harrisons internal med or cecils text of medicine
    3.the merk manual
    4. 5 minute clinics(ortho, peds, cardiac, clinical, many others)
    5. some pharm programs like Mosbylx or MosbyRx or skyskapes AtoZ drugs
    6. There are many other handy programs like a peripheral brain, pnemonics, memory aids, anatomy reviews, etc... For most of these you need a program called HandBase or another like it so you can run that software.
    7. Patient Tracker is also good(allows you to keep track of all the important info of your patients)
    8. You also need a program called iSilo to run alot of different software on your palm. There a trials of this and others on the net.

*. Many, Many, Many More. You can find all of these and more by just searching on yahoo for palm software. It isn't too expensive but it can add up. I lucked out and had a friend give me a whole CD with all of these. See if you can do the same. Good luck

4. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was thinking about buying a copy of dorland's for my palm. do you know how much is lost between the hardcover copy and the palm version? i would imagine that the actual book is much more comprehensive, no?

5. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So everyone knows...

The Merck Manual (complete!) is free to AMSA members (in Palm OS format) from handheldmed.com.

I chose Stedman's (vs. Dorland's), because it was free with an AMA membership (also get JAMA every week).

Cheers,
    doepug

6. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

One more...

The Hopkins Antibiotic Guide is free online at hopkins-abxguide.org. It's a great reference for ID.

7. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned ePocrates!

You can't beat a FREE drug database. I prefer it over a PDR. Very concise. You can download it for free at <a href="http://www.epocrates.com." target="_blank">www.epocrates.com.</a> Well worth the download and its updated everytime you sync.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry, the period got attached with the link.

The link is <a href="http://www.epocrates.com" target="_blank">www.epocrates.com</a>

9. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Can't remember where I found it, I've had it close to 2 years. Do a seach for MedCalc. It's a small free program that has lots of medical formulas. Put in your values and it gives you an answer. Things like ABGs, Creatinine Clearnace, Anion Gap, etc.

Can't beat the price, so it's worth taking a look at.