Palm vs. Pocket PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
southerndoc said:
Palm definitely has better battery life. I'm not sure how the newer generations of Pocket PC's are, but my iPAQ 5555 battery life is about half what my Tungsten T2's life was.

that depends more on the hardware
color hi res screens with backlight uses more juice, as does more RAM and faster processsors
check out the T3's atrocious battery life

personally I envy pocket Pc's hardware, but I hate M$ enough to use Palm - well actually Sony

Members don't see this ad.

Is the PEG-TH55 noticeably slower than the Tungsten T3 or the Tungsten C?

By the way, is it true that Palm is coming out with a Wi-Fi SD card sometime soon?

Who cares, they're both just as useless. No real data entry and lack of decent patient tracking software make them a $300 pharmacopias.

Btw there's an article on this topic at the humor site:

www.hippocritis.com

They ran a headline a few months ago entitled "Doctor Uses PDA Prior to Wiping Ownd Ass." I couldn't agree more.

Po po

Members don't see this ad :)
Popo said:
Who cares, they're both just as useless. No real data entry and lack of decent patient tracking software make them a $300 pharmacopias.

I have literally dozens of useful programs and textbooks on my palm that I use on a daily basis.... not to mention how helpful it is to keep track of my schedule, email, contacts, to do list.... playing games and surfing the net during boring medicine rounds. Not everyone needs a palm.... but mine replaces a whole backpack full of things.

Hi y'all-

I've scanned this thread a bit and now am looking for some advice. Sorry if my questions seem a bit redundant, but I figure I've come to the right place with all you knowledgeable people! :idea:

I just bought a brand new HP iPAQ 1945 pocket pc. I got a decent deal ($265, $35 less than list price.) Here is my situation and my questions:

I wanted a PDA mainly for personal and residency scheduling (block schedules, calls, to-do lists, expense-tracking, contacts, stuff like that).

1) Can you "beam" programs or files between the 2 operating systems (like beaming epocrates between Palm OS and Windows OS)?

2) I don't anticipate much use for wireless internet or technology - but how much have you seen this being used in hospitals, etc.? Or is it more of a luxury feature that makes your life easier? (My new machine has Bluetooth.)

3) I also don't care much to have a camera. However, someone asked me if having a camera would at all be beneficial to take pictures of interesting conditions for documentation. Is this even allowed? If so, would pulling out your PDA to take a picture be the way to go?

4) I read that there is more medical software for Palm than Windows (and perhaps, more FREE software?) Would the things I want be available in Windows? I am mainly interested in all sorts of medical calculators, Harriet Lane, 5minCC for Pediatrics, medical dictionary, some sort of drug reference that includes peds stuff, and all the other typical things that residents put on their PDAs. What would I be lacking by not having Palm OS?

5) The specs for my machine:
Bluetooth
Secure Digital slot
64 MB RAM
13 MB hp iPAQ file store
266 MHz
64K colors
integrated microphone, speaker
2.5 mm stereo audio jack (plays MP3 or Windows Media music files)
900mAH lithium ion removable/rechargeable battery
Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 Professional Edition

Could I have done better? Does this machine seem above and beyond my needs for $265, or a decent deal? Would a Palm or Dell have been better? Anyone have any input on the future of HP PDAs?

Thanks!!!!!

I believe Palm definitely has more options regarding software than Pocket PC's. On my UX-50 I run ISilo-X which enables me to take websites and view them while not connected to the internet (Program makes websites into documents, but still lets you click on links contained on website) I use this program for weather, news, and favorite web sites. I also have found a Med Calculator which is free and allows you to enter in a few values to find estimated blood loss, BMI, and tons of other stuff (mostly clinical stuff which I'm not to familiar with since I haven't even started M1 yet).

With the WiFi/bluetooth you can access the internet from just about anywhere. The other day I was using my WiFi about 200 ft away from my home router (So whoever posted about wanting to use their PDA to browse in their garden you definitely can). I have yet to use the internet over a bluetooth phone (because I don't own one). From what I hear though this is a great feature.

A website that you might want to visit if you are interested in any Sony Clie product is www.1src.com. There are forums there discussing varying modles and applications that can be downloaded to the palm OS. I mainly used mine for the work and scheduling. It is a great tool and I love the keyboard layout.

What about the other side of the spectrum? I don't care about talking on the phone, surfing the web, playing final fantasy, or taking pictures etc.

I'm starting my 3rd year in a week and would want something that:
1)is color
2) plays mp3's
3) syncs w/outlook etc
4) won't piss me off when it gets stolen or dropped (which I'm 100% certain will happen).

Everyone here is very well versed in the high end techno scene, where I just want to enter patient notes and pull up ph #'s etc.

Any suggestions for the "cheap med student" who could really care less about the fancy shi$, and is more interested in durability and basic functions? Or a major reason that those extras have become useful and I should buy them?
Thanks in advance!

TysonCook said:
What about the other side of the spectrum? I don't care about talking on the phone, surfing the web, playing final fantasy, or taking pictures etc.

I'm starting my 3rd year in a week and would want something that:
1)is color
2) plays mp3's
3) syncs w/outlook etc
4) won't piss me off when it gets stolen or dropped (which I'm 100% certain will happen).

Everyone here is very well versed in the high end techno scene, where I just want to enter patient notes and pull up ph #'s etc.

Any suggestions for the "cheap med student" who could really care less about the fancy shi$, and is more interested in durability and basic functions? Or a major reason that those extras have become useful and I should buy them?
Thanks in advance!

If you're willing to put up with athird party syncing program, you can use a cheap Palm to do what you need (see my guide). This is the cheaper route.

Otherwise, I would suggest the ~$200 iPAQ 1935 or the ~$200 Axim X3.

The only two additional features I would even consider are a camera and Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is pretty nice, especially if you're going to be around a university or near a hotspot. Having the internet in your hands makes your handheld immesurably more useful.

Okay I had to bump this thread up since alot of peeps are gonna be starting 3rd year and in need of a PDA, me being one of them. I've read threw this thread and still don't know what to get cause most of the models they are talking about are last years (since the thread is so old).

So anyone hip on what's new and what we should get for 3rd year. I'm completely clueless on the whole pda thing. I am interested in getting one of those smart phones though (treo 650 or HP h6315 pocket pc). My school has these requirements for us:

I. The minimum 'equipment' required is a PDA with:

******* Palm Operating System (OS) v. 5.X (the latest)

******* 24 MB of Memory

******* Expansion Slot

******* 128 MB Memory Card

II. The minimum software required is:

* **The AvantGo client software (for uploading Patient Log data)

* **A Pharmacopeia (ePocrates Pro may become required; discount may be
available.)

* **A Med Calculator

* **A Document Reader

* **A Security Program

I've read in another post that there are programs that let you run palm OS on pocket PCs, any thoughts or advice on the whole palm vs pocket PC thing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.