Palpitations galore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petrified

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just learned that not only am I on call on the very first possible day to be on call, I'm also in-house on the 4th of July where people get drunk and have fun with colorful explosives.

I am scared out of my wits, I can't even describe it. It seems like all the knowledge I've acquired through the 4 years have dissipated, leaving me completely clueless.

The advice from SDN from previous posts for up and coming interns have been helpful.... don't be afraid to ask questions, always inform your chief no matter what, etc... So why am I posting? I don't even know... maybe because I'm looking for some hope somewhere that these days will not be as horrible as I expect them to be (though that's a very slim chance), and that what remains of my confidence now will not be crushed so badly that I'd be too afraid to come back the next day for another ass-kicking.

Members don't see this ad.

The important thing is to keep your team/senior resident on-board with any problems, potential or otherwise, that you may be facing. Just keep them informed and you'll be OK. Somehow we all survived - all of us felt completely overwhelmed and unprepared (funny how little of what you learned in med school feels applicable when you're an intern huh?) early on.

The nurses will know you're new as well...don't be afraid to ask the more senior nurses for help with common, simple problems if you need to. Have a good pocketbook handy. But, again, keep your senior resident up-to-date with important things that are going on.

Are you going to be on a trauma rotation in July? If not, don't worry about 7/4. Even if you are, I've been on Trauma in July here (at a VERY busy trauma center) and it's not as bad as you'd think.

The bad trauma days are usually around other holidays - Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas, New Year's Eve.

Best of luck!

You will survive. Just keep telling yourself that. And the personal satisfaction you'll feel when you survive will be worth it. It is scary, but adrenal is part of the reason you chose this specialty right??

My advice: Don't forget to eat. it's easy to forget when the adrenalin is pumping, but you need fuel, and lots of it. Pack some snacks into your lab coat pocket!

I just feels like yesterday when i was on call on the July long weekend. NOw i'm looking forward to my first attending call in July (equally as frightening as your first intern call). I too have been stuck on call the july long weekend - sucks being the most junior!

Goodluck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just feels like yesterday when i was on call on the July long weekend. NOw i'm looking forward to my first attending call in July (equally as frightening as your first intern call). I too have been stuck on call the july long weekend - sucks being the most junior!

Ah yes, the three biggest transitions in medicine:

MS-II --> MS-III
MS-IV --> Intern
Chief --> Attending

I'll bet you'll soon be suprised at how calm and banal things are most of the time.

Perhaps my age is showing, but people don't go out and get crazy in near the numbers they used to; even New Year's Eve has quieted down.

And even if it isn't for you, look at it as getting it down and out of the way early.

I'll bet you'll soon be suprised at how calm and banal things are most of the time.

Perhaps my age is showing, but people don't go out and get crazy in near the numbers they used to; even New Year's

That's how it's seemed here as well, at least over the last 2-3 years.

I feel your pain. I was on call for our four CT surgery services my first night ever as an intern, and there are no fellows on in house call to back me up. It took about 4 hours for my ears to stop ringing and for me to stop hyperventilating, but I made it through (and everyone was alive in the am)...

My suggestions for the first night:
1. I have never gotten in trouble for calling my senior, but I have definitely gotten in trouble for not calling.
2. Try to at least start the work-up before calling your senior.
3. Definitely SEE THE PATIENT before calling your senior.
4. When in doubt about a nurses call, see the patient.
5. It never hurts to ask the nurse what they think or what is normally done in that situation, especially if you are at a loss. Believe me, when the LVAD started alarming at 2 am, that is exactly what I did.
6. Before you start, I found it helpful to make a list of things that you should order/think about for common calls (e.g. chest pain, SOB, low UOP, tachycardia, a fib, pain, fever). I had all of the little pocket books, but I never really used them. It was much easier to just check my index card and fire off the proper orders.

Good luck. You will make it through.

1. I have never gotten in trouble for calling my senior, but I have definitely gotten in trouble for not calling.

I can't stress this point enough - it's absolutely key to stay above water. We had this point hammered into us during orientation.

Perhaps my age is showing, but people don't go out and get crazy in near the numbers they used to; even New Year's Eve has quieted down.

And even if it isn't for you, look at it as getting it down and out of the way early.

My guess is that the price of gasoline at $5+ per gallon is going to keep more than a few nuts off the road. Perhaps they will find something at home get them into the trauma bay (I got more burns on Thanksgiving from those turkey fryers) but I agree, things aren't as bad as they used to be or I have gotten used to the sex and violence.

My guess is that the price of gasoline at $5+ per gallon is going to keep more than a few nuts off the road. Perhaps they will find something at home get them into the trauma bay (I got more burns on Thanksgiving from those turkey fryers) but I agree, things aren't as bad as they used to be or I have gotten used to the sex and violence.

:laugh:

Yep, seen a few of those in my day as well.

Try being here in the South where deep-fried turkeys are oh-so-common. (NB: doing said deep-frying while drunk is a BAD idea!)

Mmmm...fried turkey...:thumbup: