Pals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is PALS? The manual looks pretty scary!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took PALS last week. The new method of teaching they are using is a bit strange, especially for us. The emphasis now is on the "team" approach to resuscitation. They've also integrated videos into the format, which end up being pointless and repetitive to the learning goals. The course has also been extended by about 2 hours, so on the 2nd day we finished at 3:15 PM.

Some of the stuff they teach is bizarre. Would the average RT or RN taking the class be able to differentiate between neurogenic or cardiogenic shock? Even more doubtful is the necessity of having them know what drugs to give for what type of shock.

Members don't see this ad :)
The funny thing is that I'm starting an IM residency...and somehow have to do a month of peds...

Would the average RT or RN taking the class be able to differentiate between neurogenic or cardiogenic shock?

Seeing as we are taught to differentiate the various forms of shock in school, I can say if an RT doesn't know that is a disgrace to the profession.

Even more doubtful is the necessity of having them know what drugs to give for what type of shock.

While not necessary, it would be nice to have them know it if at all possible....more knowledge is never a bad thing.

How difficult is PALS? The manual looks pretty scary!

I found the latest iteration of PALS (and I've been taking it since 1990) to be the most difficult yet.

And by difficult, I mean 'difficult to not blow your head off from the mind-numbing boredom of watching video and video in a glorified BLS class'.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I would, however, drink lots of caffeine. Staying awake is a challenge. The test is not.

Take care,
Jeff

I passed PALS with room to spare as a med student in between first and second year.

It's not hard.