1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pancreatic somatostatin

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by gabdolce, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gabdolce

5+ Year Member

Hi all,

What exactly is the stimulus for pancreatic somatostatin stimulation? Kaplan is telling me in one instance that high glucose AND high AA induces somatostatin and another instance tells me high glucose OR high AA induces somatostatin.

Either way, these situations seem dubious because that means that insulin would never be working -- somatostatin would always be around whenever the situations suggest insulin should be around, which means insulin is always shut off (by somatostatin).

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dancerdoc89

dancerdoc89 Knowledge is Power

Pre-Medical

Hmmm, I'll give it a shot...

High glucose should cause somatostatin to be secreted; one major inhibitory function of somatostatin is to inhibit growth hormone (GH). GH acts to increase glucose levels in the blood...if glucose is too high, GH needs to be shut off, and somatostatin does this.

As for AA (I'm assuming "amino acids"), I don't see the relationship between it and somatostatin (maybe I just don't know!). Does somatostatin inhibit a process that break down pepides/proteins into AA?

I hope it helped somewhat...I'm trying to make this a learning process for both of us here...:luck:

4. gabdolce

5+ Year Member

But somatostatin inhibits the activity of both glucagon and insulin, no? Isn't this then paradoxical? If high glucose activates both insulin and somatostatin, and somatostatin turns insulin off, won't we always have high glucose and thus, always have high somatostatin?