DO Panicked about a 7 - school list advice, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ananasmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Long time lurker, new poster. I was hoping you fine people could take a look at my school list and offer me any advice.

I’m a non-trad, graduated 2 years ago as a science major but NOT “pre-med.” Had some pre-reqs already done from the science degree.

*Retook a C- in Orgo I from my original degree and got an A, and took Physics I and II for the first time all at a community college. Took Orgo II at a different 4-year school.
*Also took Anatomy & Physio I and II and Microbiology at the CC.
*I don’t have biochemistry yet but plan to register to take it in the fall. I hope this will be okay for schools that require it - it’s not listed on my app because I have not been able to register yet.

In sum, my AACOMAS cGPA is 3.84, sGPA 3.80. For AMCAS my GPAs are lower, due to the C- in Orgo I and some Bs in math classes.

My MCAT is 27: 7 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS.

I’m worried the 7 PS will be the nail in my application coffin. I’m scheduled to retake on July 25th, but I’m not sure how much my score can improve - I dedicated four months to my initial prep and constantly struggled with the PS section. I’m starting to study again with a fresh approach and somewhat less anxiety since I’m now familiar with the test. Will I be auto screened out of schools because of the 7? I plan to submit my application in early June despite not having the new score yet.

I have clinical experience/volunteering/some research/shadowing with both MDs and DOs. Maybe nothing super outstanding, but I am proud of my experiences and feel I have a lot to offer med schools!

I know there are schools on my list with average MCAT scores several points higher than mine - maybe my higher than average GPA will help me out here? Please let me know if any of these are completely out of the question. I was initially planning to apply to about half MD/half DO schools, but now due to my MCAT I will focus mainly on DO and only apply to the MD schools in my area (Chicago). I would absolutely love to matriculate to any school on this list.

KCOM
SOMA
ACOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
CCOM
DMU
KCUMB
LMU-DCOM
MUCOM
MSUCOM
NYCOM
Nova
OUCOM (I know about the 5 year requirement - my bf is from Ohio and we’ve seriously considered moving there)
RVUCOM
All 3 Touros
WVSOM
Western-COMP
WCU-COM

Plus 4 MD programs (Rush, RFUMS, Loyola, UIllinois) - probably Against Medical Advice :p.

Obviously I have trouble with concise writing *grumbles about character limit for personal statement* but I do appreciate the time it takes for people to read and post advice on threads like this! I've read a lot on this subforum and have already learned so much.

I don't think you need to apply to that many schools. Your stats are good even with the 7. You should definitely remove some schools from your list. You should remove a few of the newer/lower-tier schools unless you feel very strongly about them.

You're pretty fine as is tbh. You'll easily get some love from plenty of schools.

Now regarding your list... Did you legitimately just randomly pull out schools from a hat or what?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When you complete your secondary statement for OU-HCOM, make sure that you highlight any Ohio ties that you have. As I am sure, OU-HCOM as a heavy in-state bias, but if you have any Ohio ties and/or a strong interest in primary care, that will certainly help. Your GPAs look good, but CCOM gives me cause because they have a very high average MCAT for a DO school.

I think as long s you have a 27+ and your application shines, you'll be fine. Don't let SDNers nitpick your MCAT and scare you away. You'll be surprised what schools call you for an interview :)

I think as long s you have a 27+ and your application shines, you'll be fine. Don't let SDNers nitpick your MCAT and scare you away. You'll be surprised what schools call you for an interview :)

I like your eyeliner.

Your current MCAT score is fine for DO schools, Apply early and you'll definitely get into somewhere. Last year I got ii's with a 6 in VR (no acceptances, but I also applied late), so you should be fine with a 7 in PS.

Your current MCAT score is fine for DO schools, Apply early and you'll definitely get into somewhere. Last year I got ii's with a 6 in VR (no acceptances, but I also applied late), so you should be fine with a 7 in PS.
What did you score in the other sections if you dont mind me asking??

Last edited:
I got into 3 DO schools and on 2 waitlists with a 7 in PS (and I applied a lot less broadly than you). You won't be auto-screened out because of the 7 so don't let it get you down! Go for it.

Consider LECOM. I have since retaken the MCAT and improved my score, but I got an interview offer with them when my score was 25 with a PS sub score of 6.

Just my experience, but my MCAT was a 6PS, 13 VR, 11 BS and I got into school. Your 7 won't be the thing to hold you back if the other facets of your application are excellent.