Other OT-Related Information Panicked, need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chanandler Bong

That's "MISS"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all... longtime-lurker here.

I'm set to apply for programs next fall, and I think maybe that is partly what is sending me into a panic about whether or not OT is the right choice for me... that and maybe the horrible people on the indeed.com forums...

Quick background: I have a BA in a creative discipline, decided to return to school to prepare for a health sciences career because my other love was studying the brain. I'm finding out how much I enjoy bio and anatomy as well, but I know my passions are in studying TBI, stroke, aphasia, autism, schizophrenia, depression -- basically the mental health side of things. I considered counseling-related careers, but I really liked the idea of going beyond talk therapy and medication and working with patients through a more active fashion. I also think I'd like dealing with kids a lot.

I'm a bit concerned that there don't seem to be as many jobs in the mental health setting for OTs. Also, when I spoke with an OT at my volunteer setting (rehab) about shadowing, she refused because she said what she mainly does are ADLs in the form of toileting, showering, and other things that the patient might not want another observer around to see. That kind of shook me up... I knew bathing and toileting would be essential parts of the job, and I've done that kind of thing before as a caregiver for an SCI patient so I'm not "above it," but I thought it would be more in a teaching capacity and that it wouldn't be the majority of the job. Is there really that little variation...?

I've also read other things about ethical concerns and people failing their fieldwork and... yeah, I've passed the breaking point and am just questioning everything. Please give me some advice on whether this outlook is skewed... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a veteran, but I have followed a ton of online resources, and I can tell you for sure that indeed.com boards have a few bad apples that spoil any thread praising OT. I'm guessing they had a bad experience, and judging by their narrow treatment of the field, they don't seem to have had a great education.

I shadowed an OT that got her degree in the 70's, and it was WAY different back then (before OS helped legitimize the field among scientists, so to speak). I find that OT's from that generation are more disenfranchise because the field has changed so much in the last 15 years. That's a generalization, and a guess.

Also, I'm interested in neuro, and I observed at an outpatient neuro setting. No ADL's at all. It's out there...I don't think it's wide open like SNF's or acute care, but it's definitely out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
I think what would really help you would be to get more shadowing experience in different fields of OT to make sure that this is what you want to do!
There are many different aspects of OT and showering and toileting are definitely not the only things that you are going to be doing. I have only seen this mainly in SNF. So I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in your decision.
Also, I think your interests describe various settings in OT. I would say depression and schizophrenia are mental health, while the others, such as autism can be seen in school settings and outpatient clinics, while TBI/strokes can be in hospital settings/outpatient/inpatient. Basically, I think you have a wide range of interests, which is awesome because you have many options within OT! I think that observing and attending a Master's program lets you gain experiences in all these areas so that you can narrow down and find your niche. And hey, ultimately, you could work with all those populations because in OT you have the option to jump around these different areas. Certainly you probably want to zone in on a specialty but there is the option available to experience it all!
I have read those posts on Indeed..yes, they are negative and can really make you question things; however, after observing, I learned that OT is a wonderful profession. You should observe more and decide if it is the right fit for you. There are always people that hate their job for many reasons, and they are the people that often do not look for ways to keep their careers interesting. I feel there is room in OT to be creative and fight off the monotony that happens in many other fields of work. Again, no one else can decide if this is the right fit for you, but don't let a handful of negative people tell you it's not.
As for fieldwork, I haven't experienced it yet, so I can't really say. I plan on putting my all into my graduate career and really excelling in the field and I think if you go in with the same positive attitude and give it everything you have, then you will be on the right track for success. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what the people above said. Do a little research and a little more shadowing and you'll quickly discover there is a LOT more to OT than just toileting and showering.This website has a lot of great information: http://occupational-therapy.advanceweb.com/ Also AOTA's website.

alg5443, I guess I'd always thought of my interests as rather one-note -- glad to hear they actually translate into a lot of different options. And I think you all are right... it is hard to find people to shadow but that's what I'm working on right now, and it probably will clarify things a lot.

Thanks all... I think I just needed a little reality check. :) It can be easy to start thinking the worst with such big decisions...