Panicking...need to refuse parents' money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting in the Financial Aid forum here...I will look around some in a while to see if some of my questions may have been answered already.

But I'm facing kind of an immediate problem...I'm starting med school this fall, and my parents had planned to help me pay for at least the first 2 years of it (after which I would take out loans). But I've had long-standing problems in my relationship with my dad...and they seem to be coming to a head. I realize that it would be wrong to accept money from him without wanting him to be involved in my life.

Still, refusing their money, in my parents' eyes, would be a clear signal that I want nothing to do with them, and I know that would hurt them. But I'm thinking that that's what I may have to do.

So now I'm thinking about financial aid...but there are several problems there. My parents' income is too high for me to get any money if their income is considered. And my dad is years behind in filing his taxes and wouldn't be able to get a copy of this year's taxes for FAFSA or anything.

Also, since I hadn't looked into financial aid before, I have no idea if it is too late to apply now anyway. Can anyone give me some general advice on where to go from here?

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't give you any advice about how to get financial aid if you don't qualify, but if you *can* get financial aid and don't want to take your parents money, just tell them that you'd rather take out loans because the hospital where you will practice will repay them.

Many medical students arrange agreements with townships, hospitals, and physician practices to have their loans repaid. So you can tell your parents they can pay $80,000 for two years of medical school (provided you are attending a private school), or you can let the hospital pay when you start practice (thereby letting them spend their own money).

Do you feel like your dad is buying you? Do they want anything in return? This is hard, but maybe you can look at it like this: This is payment for the pain, I'm assuming that something is wrong here, that he has caused you.

No it's not too late, some people haven't even gotten into any school yet and they'll still qualify for financial aid. I think you can borrow up to the 38,500 of Staffords without your parents info. And you might get some insititutional aid too. It's up to you. Contact your financial aid office and file your FAFSA. And think about what's important to you. You could come out of school with less debt, but is that making a concession that you can't make. Is this about pride?

Members don't see this ad :)
The previous poster is correct. Fill out your FAFSA NOW, without your parents' info. You should still be able to get the full 38,500 of Stafford. Hopefully, that will be enough, because most schools don't offer institutional aid unless you provide parental info. As long as your credit is good, you should be able to supplement any shortfalls with private loans.

Contact your financial aid office ASAP. There's always a way to get the money you need.

Good luck,

HamOn

The other thing you could do is tell your folks that you want to take out the loans now since interest rates are so low and have them pay for the last two years. Then you can wait and see where your relationship is with your Dad.

Just a thought.

when you are going to a medical school (or any other grad school) you are considered independant and therefore there is no need for your aprents' info.