panoptic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my bud got one of these and I must say they're bloody amazing.
He's doing peds and says it's awesome to have but I'm not sure the price justifies the thing. I'm not sure I'll even use it 4th year or beyond?
Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i have one and i love it. i saw papilledema for the first time the other day. it was really great to finally see something other than normal. i use it on everyone to get used to it, even if they come in for a sprained ankle. i carry it with me in the hospital, even tho it is a little big, but i put it in a little case.

how many times have you heard someone say that they just write fundoscopic exam normal and then laugh and say they have never seen the disc or cup or anything. it is a little scary. everyone always wants to try my panoptic and are shoked at how much they see. so many people have said to me, i have never really seen anything before!

as for owning it, it really all depends on what you want to do. if you are going into primary care, it would be a good investment. my dad and brother are family practicioners and they both have them and love it. i guess you could us it in most specialities, not path, rads maybe.....but lots of others.....i got mine thru a med student/resident trade in and it was 300$ including the handle etc. it may still be going on.

ps try using it on your dog.....holy schnikes!

I have used a panoptic on several occasions and it really does allow you to see EVERYTHING. It has even helped me improve my fundoscopic exam with the normal ophthalmoscope. I saw diabetic retinopathy and hypertensive "copper wiring" with it.

I think it is a great piece of equipment, but it really will never get used unless you plan to do something like primary care, ophtho, neuro maybe, etc.

A lot of attendings at my school love the panoptics, and often request to use students panoptics when interesting findings
have been reported in H&Ps.

If you have the dough, shell it out. But try and get a deal on one - ebay maybe.