Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

paper or computer version of MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. N, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Please help! I just tried to register for August MCAT and apperantly I have to choose paper or computer based version. From your experience, which one is better?

2. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    N-
    I'll say it first, and many others will follow: It's up to what you feel more comfortable with. Did you do all of your practice tests on computer or paper? I wouldn't deviate from that unless you are sure you can keep a high performance level. Maybe try both...
    End note: it's still up to you.
    And good luck. I took April (and will likely have to retake in Aug) and the test - in any format - sucks.

dc

3. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Personally, I would choose paper. I heard it can be a little cumbersome to go backwards. I don't think you'd need another distraction when you're taking the test. If you think you can do well on the compute,r then go for it, but no reason to risk it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. duka

duka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say paper-- I definately needed the margins on some questions to figure out answers for physics etc, and then in the writing section, I always underline/circle important stuff. I doubt there is a way to do this on the computer version.

5. mikeyboy

mikeyboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would only choose the computer version if they could tell me my raw score right after the test. Then, I might be tempted...otherwise, the paper version seems much faster (skipping back and forth between passages/questions), and all my tests were done on paper, though I don't know how the computer version is set up.

On the other hand, my friend recently took the test and realized with 2 minutes left that she had bubbled in the questions wrong. She was off by one bubble, and had no idea where she made the mistake, and had to void her test. If this is something you might do frequently, maybe the comptuer version would be better.

6. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    there is a computer version, when did they start that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fonzy

fonzy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Paper version for me as the computer screen can tire eyes [mainly due to the length of the exam] and excite the neural networks thus affecting performance.

8. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Omg Omg I Cant Believe Its Here.

Paper All The Way!!!

9. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

In April and August 2004, the AAMC is offering the MCAT in a Computer-Based Format (CBT) in a limited number of U.S. cities:

Baltimore/Towson Testing Center, 8501 LaSalle Road, Suite 115 Towson, MD 21286-5919
    Boston/Burlington Testing Center, 6 New England Executive Park, Suite 120, Burlington, MA 01803
    Chicago Test Center, 20 North Clark Street, 16th Floor, Chicago, IL 60602-5001
    Washington DC Test Center, 1660 L Street NW, 2nd Floor, Suite 204, Washington, DC 20036-5603
    Seating is strictly on a limited, first-come, first-served, basis. To register and sit for the MCAT CBT, you must read and agree with the information below.

10. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

registration for august is not open yet...

11. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am not sure when they started that but computer option was already available for some areas in April, 2004

12. Sharkfan

Sharkfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would totally stick with paper, for all the reasons other posters have said. First, being able to flip back and forth and skip questions you feel like coming back to is crucial for a lot of people, and I think trying to do that on a computer would be hell on earth. Second, making notes in the margins for the verbal section, a big help, will be impossible from a computer screen. Third, the length of the test. Who in their right mind wants to be staring at a computer screen for that long? Fourth, using margins for scratch in the science sections is also nice.

To each his own, but in my opinion the peculiarities of the MCAT would render a computer format very obnoxious.

13. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

Wow, they're offering computer? Go for it, the written sample will be way easier

14. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Hmmm... that's a pretty good point. Now if we can just get the adcoms to give a damn about the written sample portion of the test. ;)

15. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    paper is good b/c you can scribble notes in the margins next to a passage or underline important phrases/data in the passage. it's so much easier that way. I hated taking the GRE on computer.

Its also alot easier to cross out wrong answers on a paper test. It must get annoying tryng to track elimianted answer choices on computer.

16. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think it is not allowed to change the answer once you have saved the answer on computer format... at least not for GRE and GMAT ... but MCAT could be different

17. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

There are no advantages to taking it on computer and several disadvantages (they've already been mentioned.) I would never take the computer version unless it was the only choice they gave me.

18. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

they dooo care. but thats another arguement.

19. Conquistador

Conquistador Member
    7+ Year Member

i find my eyes get tired after looking at the cpu screen for too long. I'd take the paper test.