Paperwork/Family Medicine/Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belmoth19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know this is mostly a site with U.S. members but I was hoping a Canadian family physician could give some feedback on the required paperwork involved in a typical day. From my understanding, physicians in the United States spend a great deal of time filling out paperwork that involves payment and issues related to insurance companies. Is this very different in Canada? Feedback and different perspectives from physicians in both Canada and the United States would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know this is mostly a site with U.S. members but I was hoping a Canadian family physician could give some feedback on the required paperwork involved in a typical day. From my understanding, physicians in the United States spend a great deal of time filling out paperwork that involves payment and issues related to insurance companies. Is this very different in Canada? Feedback and different perspectives from physicians in both Canada and the United States would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Your status currently says you're "pre-health". Does that mean you're not in med school yet? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry about how paperwork in FM between two nations compares with one another, or in fact even about picking a specialty at this point. I'd just worry about getting into med school. Besides, you'll probably change your mind about specialties when you see what they're like when you rotate through them, etc. Plus, when you rotate through FM, you can see firsthand what the paperwork is like and whether you can tolerate it, thus answering your own question.