1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Paragraph references in CARS Questions on the REAL MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MyNameIsRobertPaulson, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MyNameIsRobertPaulson

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi All. I have been practicing CARS for a while now, and just recently doing some of the AAMC material. I have noticed many of the Qs in the AAMC OG exam and the AAMC Practice test provide specific paragraph references in the question.

However, in much of my study material, EK, nextStep, princeton, this was not the case. This makes the Qs a bit tougher, which I guess is good. But is the real MCAT like the practice stuff or the AAMC material? I have read in many threads that the OG is easy compared to the real exam people have seen, and the practice test is similarly easy to some.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TAKEN THE REAL MCAT THIS YEAR

Did most of the CARS questions you saw on exam day tell you where to go to find info, or was it more vague/tougher?

Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    Just took it today. A lot of questions did have a paragraph indication... ie. (paragraph 5) ... after a specific phrase or quote or something.

BUUUUUT... a lot of times they didn't either. It helps when it's there. But don't think they will always give you that indication.

ready2go2 likes this.
  4. ready2go2

5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It's a toss up. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

If they don't it's likely an important phrase or sentence that you should have highlighted/would be easy to find because it is so important to the passage.

5. DesitnationMD

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would say a good 1/3 of my CARS questions had at least a paragraph reference. I am a note taker for CARS so I usually found stuff when I needed it. I hated the new highlighting function on the MCAT. No more 1 click highlighting, so stupid.

6. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

I would say on average 1/4 or 25% of MCAT CARS questions have paragraph reference. But on some tests, there may be more. And on others, there may be less.