paramedic during premed and med

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Ems, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Ems

Ems Junior Member

I currently have my emt-p certification and was wondering if I any one out in the world could give me some information on if it is possible to work with a fire department, and also can a physician have an active role on an ems or fire department?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tonem

tonem Senior Member

Many fire departments provide EMS service so it is certainly possible to work for a fire department as a paramedic. If you're asking about doing it while you're in medical school, thats a different story. I think it would be very unlikely that you'd be able to do it.

Physicians regularly serve as medical directors for fire department EMS services. In most places I think thats about the extent of their involvement in daily operations. In some places like Pittsburgh,however, 2nd year emergency medicine residents man a "jeep" that responds to medical emergencies with paramedic units. Hope that helps.

I should ammend my post to say that my experience is with paid fire departments only, I don't really know much about how volunteer departments operate.

4. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Flameboy

Attending Physician
    A paramedic would know this already. You are a liar and a poser. Step off this site. ---

----posted by "ems" 29 oct----
    I was just wondering would anyone out their that has experience being a paramedic would give me suggestions on wether or not to take the program before premed and medical school. could you please relay some advice?
    -----------
    :mad: