1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

paramedic during premed and med

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Ems, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Ems

Ems Junior Member

I currently have my emt-p certification and was wondering if I any one out in the world could give me some information on if it is possible to work with a fire department, and also can a physician have an active role on an ems or fire department?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tonem

tonem Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Many fire departments provide EMS service so it is certainly possible to work for a fire department as a paramedic. If you're asking about doing it while you're in medical school, thats a different story. I think it would be very unlikely that you'd be able to do it.

Physicians regularly serve as medical directors for fire department EMS services. In most places I think thats about the extent of their involvement in daily operations. In some places like Pittsburgh,however, 2nd year emergency medicine residents man a "jeep" that responds to medical emergencies with paramedic units. Hope that helps.

I should ammend my post to say that my experience is with paid fire departments only, I don't really know much about how volunteer departments operate.

4. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Flameboy
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A paramedic would know this already. You are a liar and a poser. Step off this site. ---

----posted by "ems" 29 oct----
    I was just wondering would anyone out their that has experience being a paramedic would give me suggestions on wether or not to take the program before premed and medical school. could you please relay some advice?
    -----------
    :mad: