Paranoia and Epilepsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has seizures...right after (a day or so) and a day before he usually is VERY paranoid and VERY hateful. Do any of you know if this is normal for persons with epilepsy?

Members don't see this ad.

Religious or spiritual feelings are common, paranoia I haven't heard of, but like ps pointed out that really doesn't mean much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course not, and you know I can kick your butt PH....:). I just thought more neurologists would have an idea. Just because I don't think psychologists know everything means I am putting us down. A sign of a good doctor is knowing when to consult/refer..... ;)

psisci said:
Of course not, and you know I can kick your butt PH....:). I just thought more neurologists would have an idea. Just because I don't think psychologists know everything means I am putting us down. A sign of a good doctor is knowing when to consult/refer..... ;)

Bring it on! :smuggrin: Just kidding.

In my experience, it's the neuropsychologists, not neurologists, who have written extensively about the "temporal lobe epilepsy personality" or "epileptogenic personality." Psychiatrists and behavioral neurologists (Ramachandran, for example) are also involved to some extent. An interesting phenomenon that cuts across many disciplines.

Besides, the neurology forum has been slow lately.

Just thought I'd share! I have heard about the relationship between epileptic seizures and paranoia/psychosis quite a bit. Does anyone remember the lady that put her newborn in the microwave for a long time immediately after a seizure and then called the police b/c she couldn't find the infant? When the police arrived hours after the initial seizure, they found it dead in the microwave. She was tried and acquitted due to her severe distortion or semi psychosis following her seizures. It was a fascinating story and the lady was severely traumatized by what she had done.