Paranoid about withdrawing an acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been accepted to 2 DO schools so far, and I’ve made my decision on which I want to attend and put my deposit down for.

VCOM-Auburn
  • Top choice (at the moment)
  • Feb deposit due $1500
  • Requires a DO LOR before “conditional acceptance becomes full acceptance”
PCOM-GA
  • Second pick
  • Dec deposit $250
  • I’ve already met all requirements for admission
I’ve already shadowed a DO, and he said he’d write me a LOR for VCOM. (He’s a VCOM alum so that was an awesome bonus.) I’m wondering if i should still submit a deposit to PCOM in the event that either he doesn’t end up writing me a letter, or for some reason VCOM doesn’t like what he writes and takes away my acceptance. I think these aren’t legitimate concerns though, and I’m just being a paranoid premed. Money for the deposits is not an issue. Advice? (Would love to hear @Goro ’s opinion on this.)

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve been accepted to 2 DO schools so far, and I’ve made my decision on which I want to attend and put my deposit down for.

VCOM-Auburn
  • Feb deposit due $1500
PCOM-GA
  • Second pick
  • Dec deposit $250
I’ve already shadowed a DO, and he said he’d write me a LOR for VCOM. (He’s a VCOM alum so that was an awesome bonus.) I’m wondering if i should still submit a deposit to PCOM in the event that either he doesn’t end up writing me a letter, or for some reason VCOM doesn’t like what he writes and takes away my acceptance. I think these aren’t legitimate concerns though, and I’m just being a paranoid premed. Money for the deposits is not an issue. Advice? (Would love to hear @Goro ’s opinion on this.)

Confused.

Have you done something that will bar him or her from writing a letter of support? Its either a yes or no.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd assume that they just need the letter for equality in the admissions process. The content of the letter, in all likelihood, would be acceptable.
However, perhaps it's not a bad idea to call & f/u email (for content in writing) vcom admissions to clarify exactly how concrete your conditional (-> full?) offer is post the DO letter submission, if this isn't already established.

VCOM-Auburn
  • Feb deposit due $1500
PCOM-GA
  • Second pick
  • Dec deposit $250
No way they would take your acceptance away over a sub par LOR.

I doubt they actually care what the LOR says...just seems like a stupid checkmark requirement.

Could you ask the DO writing your letter to have it done by X date, before your PCOM deadline? This way you can be sure you have it before you pass up on paying the deposit. Once you have the LOR, I can't imagine your acceptance being rescinded because of the quality of the letter itself.

I have no reason to believe the LOR will be anything but positive. I’m just being paranoid because VCOM’s letter to me said that my acceptance was “conditional” on a DO letter.

However, perhaps it's not a bad idea to call & f/u email (for content in writing) vcom admissions to clarify exactly how concrete your conditional (-> full?) offer is post the DO letter submission, if this isn't already established.
I have spoken to them already, and they seemed to not take the DO letter as strictly as say, meeting the deposit deadline. I agree with above comments, I think it’s just checking a box but I wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything. Thanks everyone!

I have no reason to believe the LOR will be anything but positive. I’m just being paranoid because VCOM’s letter to me said that my acceptance was “conditional” on a DO letter.

Xxxx

Members don't see this ad :)

VCOM-Auburn
  • Feb deposit due $1500
PCOM-GA
  • Second pick
  • Dec deposit $250
Yes, you are being paranoid. Xanax time.
The $250 to PCOM is insurance. Send it in. You'll make it back.

Reactions: 4 users
The VCOM LOR IS required, but as someone mentioned, it's just a check list item. When I did a private tour, they told me some of there students hadn't gotten it yet, but they were making them get it pretty soon. Even if it isn't a stellar LOT, as long as you have it you are Good! And good choice in VCOM ;)

The VCOM LOR IS required, but as someone mentioned, it's just a check list item. When I did a private tour, they told me some of there students hadn't gotten it yet, but they were making them get it pretty soon. Even if it isn't a stellar LOT, as long as you have it you are Good! And good choice in VCOM ;)
Spoke to my DO today, and he assured me that he’ll send in the letter. Should I still put a deposit in at PCOM?

In the grand scheme of $200000+ , whats $250?

In all seriousness though, it doesn't hurt to have a backup just in case. How long can you hold the seat?

VCOM just needs a DO letter as a requirement. Even when I was at the open house, they assured me its just a requirement, and that even if we live in an area with no DO they could help us find one that we could link up with and get a letter from. Roll the dice. I don't like to count other people's pockets, but 250.00 is a very small amount. So if it helps your anxiety, which you appear to be having over this issue, then pay it and call it good.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 for pcom deposit

You've come this far. If I were you I'd throw down the $250 until it becomes a full acceptance. That way a month from now you won't be all

"The DO hasn't turned in the letter yet and it's almost due but I know he is busy and don't wanna bug him help???"

Seems a small price to pay for reducing risk and putting your mind at ease.

I've got the same dilema except its 1800 on 12/15, pending response from top DO and Texas match. I don't think I'm going to shell the 1800.

If you don't have other acceptances, and don't hate the school with a passion, shell out the money.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, you are being paranoid. Xanax time.
The $250 to PCOM is insurance. Send it in. You'll make it back.
Yes I would send it, in case you didnot li
Spoke to my DO today, and he assured me that he’ll send in the letter. Should I still put a deposit in at PCOM?
Yes I would send it, in case you changed your mind about VCOM later on.

I've got the same dilema except its 1800 on 12/15, pending response from top DO and Texas match. I don't think I'm going to shell the 1800.

If you don't have other acceptances, and don't hate the school with a passion, shell out the money.

Agreed 100%. So many people would kill to be in your position right now. Even though $1,800 is a lot of money, how much is getting into med school really worth to you? I hope more than that! I have an acceptance from one of the lower schools on my II list, but med school is med school, and I'm eagerly putting down that deposit like cheese on a hot potato (pending acceptance to a school I rank higher).