Paranoid: my primary might get "returned"?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My primary is ready for review on June 10th, and I entered all my coursework EXACTLY as they appear on the transcript.

However, for a lot of my prereq science classes (chem, o-chem, and physics), the lab and lecture appears as separate entries on the transcript. BUT, we only get one grade for each class (lecture+lab combined), even though lab and lecture shows up as separate entries on the transcript. Adding to the insanity, all the lab components are listed as 0 credits.

Here is how my science courses appear on my transcript:

Course Description Earned (credit hours) Grade
CHEM 101L GENERAL CHEMISTRY 1.00 A
CHEM 101L9 GENERAL CHEM LAB 0.00

As you can see, the lab entry is merely used to indicate that the class has a lab component. It has 0 credits and no grade - so I entered as such on my AMCAS, with 0 credit and left it blank for grade. I hope this wont create any problems.

Members don't see this ad.

And btw, at my school, 1 credit = 4 semester units. The conversion is listed on my transcript.

Anyone else have transcripts that list things in weird manners?

there's nothing left you can do. just work on your secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
there's nothing left you can do. just work on your secondaries

AMCAS won't have a problem with this, will they? I entered everything as it appears EXACTLY on the official transcript.

I agree. This is just my opinion, but I think what you should have done was add 'and lab' to the graded courses and exclude the ungraded 0 credit things.

But the thing is I emailed AMCAS about this, and they told me to enter courses EXACTLY as they appear! So it is a choice I had to make. Even though adding "and Lab" makes much more sense, I wanted to play it safe and follow my transcript exactly. Hopefully AMCAS can figure things out.

Its on the amcas site somewhere that if a class has a lab component but the course title doesnt explicitly say lab that you should do that btw

It sucks that your school decided to do such a weird thing

I am aware of that. But that instruction only applies if your transcript doesn't indicate anywhere that a course has a lab component. But my transcript does include the lab component as a separate entry, so I didn't want to omit that.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, if AMCAS is going to check my courses against my official transcripts line by line, then I don't see any reason how they are going to have a problem with it.

Thats true. Its just really weird that your school puts the labs in like that (in my opinion anyways)

Same here. And my school only does it for chem, o-chem, and physics. The bio classes don't include lab anywhere in the title, making it entirely appropriate to add "and lab".

My official transcript explicitly lists 0 credit lab components (without grades next to them), so I just followed its format. I am praying that they won't return my app for this.

I heard that the will correct your application up to ten mistakes....then they will return it to you for you to correct and resubmit. You sound like you're fine.

I heard that the will correct your application up to ten mistakes....then they will return it to you for you to correct and resubmit. You sound like you're fine.

But would my entry count as a "mistake"?

But would my entry count as a "mistake"?

That would be my assumption. I made mistakes like putting the wrong category for some classes. They fixed it for me. A grade got changed for a quarter after I had put it into my amcas and didn't realize it until after submission. They fixed that for me too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't make any sense for AMCAS to prohibit the listing of 0-credit courses when some official transcripts explicitly lists 0 credit lab components. This is driving me nuts.

That would be my assumption. I made mistakes like putting the wrong category for some classes. They fixed it for me. A grade got changed for a quarter after I had put it into my amcas and didn't realize it until after submission. They fixed that for me too.

But I am just following the directions. My official transcript lists o credit lab components (without grades next to them), so I followed its format. I'll just have to see.

Also, I don't think putting the wrong category counts as one of the reason for a returned application.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147882/coursework_shared_3.3.html

It clearly states the 4 reasons that an app might get returned, and classification isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I seriously think you will be okay. Stop overthinking things or this whole process is going to be very painful. I'm trying not trying to argue but lend you support.

I seriously think you will be okay. Stop overthinking things or this whole process is going to be very painful. I'm trying not trying to argue but lend you support.

I know and I appreciate it.

I mean, I followed my official transcripts down to the punctuation/spelling mistakes. No way AMCAS can hold me accountable.

I had the same worries, just call AMCAS. The less you overthink the better it will be though. It really hurts to overthink. Take it from someone who had editted his personal statement 60 times. Let it go. You try your hardest, but you also have to know when to call it quits and not overdo it.

Last edited:
It's fine. As said above, you get up to 10 errors, and I doubt this will even count as an error. You can calm down now :p

Reactions: 2 users
It's fine. As said above, you get up to 10 errors, and I doubt this will even count as an error. You can calm down now :p

That's good to know.

But I am just curious, where does it say on AMCAS that we get 10 errors? Or is it some form of informal rule gathered by SDN based on experience?

The AMCAS instruction manual. Link in my signature.

I looked at the manual, and I believe it says failure to list 10 or more courses on the official transcript, which is HUGE

"The most common reasons for a Returned application include:
 failure to include original grades and credit hours for repeated courses
 failure to list 10 or more courses that appear on the official transcript
 failure to list credits and grades as they appear on your official transcript
 failure to list coursework in chronological order "

I looked at the manual, and I believe it says failure to list 10 or more courses on the official transcript, which is HUGE

"The most common reasons for a Returned application include:
 failure to include original grades and credit hours for repeated courses
 failure to list 10 or more courses that appear on the official transcript
 failure to list credits and grades as they appear on your official transcript
 failure to list coursework in chronological order "

Exactly. So you're fine. :D

If you're still worried, just call them tomorrow morning and ask. They're pretty helpful.

Thanks. I've emailed them before, and they are very prompt at responding. However, based on the response I've got for my two inquiries, the staff at AMCAS didn't seem to know their stuff.

I've asked them whether to include lab courses as separate entries and indicate the 0-credit, and they simply copy/pasted a standard "enter everything as they appear on your transcript" response. They didn't seem to fully understand my specific situation.

Amcas also says that if your entire course name doesn't fit into their slot, choose an appropriate abbreviation. There isn't this super-strict rule where your app must match your transcript or else. The verification is primarily to make sure you list all the courses you've taken, categorize them correctly, and write the correct grade. I'd be more worried that now it looks like you received no credit for any of your labs. It would probably have been better to write "and lab" after your lectures; since you indicated no grade, I think it'll be okay. But to be honest, there's nothing you can do so it's pointless to worry. Wait until they return your app, and if there are problems, deal with them then. I think you'll be fine.

Regardless, you can't change what's already submitted, and worrying does exactly squat zilch nada, so...relax.
One of the most important life skills you can master is stressing only when you can in any way affect an outcome. For example, some people find tests stressful. I have always found them relaxing, because as soon as they are turned in, every single concern I have over my answers, my preparation, or my grade is dismissed from my brain - I can't get the test back and change it, so there's no tension.
You have many stressful/waiting period/agency-less situations ahead of you, might as well work on this now!

Amcas also says that if your entire course name doesn't fit into their slot, choose an appropriate abbreviation. There isn't this super-strict rule where your app must match your transcript or else. The verification is primarily to make sure you list all the courses you've taken, categorize them correctly, and write the correct grade. I'd be more worried that now it looks like you received no credit for any of your labs. It would probably have been better to write "and lab" after your lectures; since you indicated no grade, I think it'll be okay. But to be honest, there's nothing you can do so it's pointless to worry. Wait until they return your app, and if there are problems, deal with them then. I think you'll be fine.

Do you think that during the verification process, the folks at AMCAS will simply change it and add "and lab" to those affected classes? I am sure that they have seen similar transcripts or even more bizarre situations.

They probably have. Regardless of what I think, they will do whatever they do, and as someone said you can't change what's already submitted. If there's still a problem you can appeal after verification. Until then, just relax! Let it go :)

They probably have. Regardless of what I think, they will do whatever they do, and as someone said you can't change what's already submitted. If there's still a problem you can appeal after verification. Until then, just relax! Let it go :)

Thanks. I don't mind AMCAS changing around my stuff at all, since that's what we pay them to do. However, I just don't want them to return my application, force me to change minor things, and then send my app to the back of the line for verification again.

Doesn't the app automatically put your courses in chronological order when you enter which semester and year you took it? I didn't exactly do it year by year when I did the initial entries because I went to two schools, so I did the school where I am now first instead of starting with my first school.

Thanks. I don't mind AMCAS changing around my stuff at all, since that's what we pay them to do. However, I just don't want them to return my application, force me to change minor things, and then send my app to the back of the line for verification again.
As said by everyone else above, relax, you are fine, try to enjoy some of your time before secondaries start coming in.