parasympathetic system and smooth muscle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?
I'm guessing vagus nerve innervation causes the parasympathetic control to decrease heart rate. But I do not know for sure, I'm just putting 2 and 2

The heart is actually made up of cardiac muscle, not smooth muscle. Both contract involuntarily, and yes the vagus nerve is the one that innervates the heart.

The heart has both PS and SS control. At rest, PS (vagal) stimulation helps slow the heart rate to about 60 beats per minute. In light exercise, PS stimulation is reduced and heart approaches its intrinsic rate of ~100 beats per minute. In strenuous exercise, PS stimulation reduced and SS stimulation increased so the heart goes beyond 100 beats per minute.

E010_vagal_tone.gif