Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?
I'm guessing vagus nerve innervation causes the parasympathetic control to decrease heart rate. But I do not know for sure, I'm just putting 2 and 2

pluckyduck1105

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The heart is actually made up of cardiac muscle, not smooth muscle. Both contract involuntarily, and yes the vagus nerve is the one that innervates the heart.

eikenhein

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The heart has both PS and SS control. At rest, PS (vagal) stimulation helps slow the heart rate to about 60 beats per minute. In light exercise, PS stimulation is reduced and heart approaches its intrinsic rate of ~100 beats per minute. In strenuous exercise, PS stimulation reduced and SS stimulation increased so the heart goes beyond 100 beats per minute.