parasympathetic system and smooth muscle

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
    Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?

Kaustikos

Antibiotics 4 Lyfe
    10+ Year Member
    Silver Member
  • Jan 18, 2008
    Always Bespin
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      Ok, the stomach has smooth muscle. So, it makes sense that it is under parasympathetic control (i.e, rest and digest). What about the smooth muscle in the heart? What system controls that?
      I'm guessing vagus nerve innervation causes the parasympathetic control to decrease heart rate. But I do not know for sure, I'm just putting 2 and 2

About the Ads

coffeebythelake

yipee-ki-yay motherf'ers
      15+ Year Member
      Gold Member
      Apr 9, 2006
      Cleveland
      1. Attending Physician
        The heart has both PS and SS control. At rest, PS (vagal) stimulation helps slow the heart rate to about 60 beats per minute. In light exercise, PS stimulation is reduced and heart approaches its intrinsic rate of ~100 beats per minute. In strenuous exercise, PS stimulation reduced and SS stimulation increased so the heart goes beyond 100 beats per minute.

E010_vagal_tone.gif

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.