Pardon Me: But When Do You Geniuses On SDN Plan On Withdrawing Multiple Acceptances?

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Cherebourg said:
Anyday now.....
For the most part, after financial aid packages are available, in early May.

rockstar2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
I already declined one, and if I hear good news from my top choice, I'll let all but two go, then after I get the $$$ packages in May I will make a final cut.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
liverotcod said:
For the most part, after financial aid packages are available, in early May.

this is my plan too... either late april or early may

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Mateodaspy said:
May 15th, 2005 at 11:59pm.

Best of luck!
What, 59 seconds early?

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
GuyLaroche said:
No, I believe it's one second early.
2005-05-15 23:59:00 < 2005-05-15 23:59:59
If we assume that "on time" is the last possible full second in which to withdraw by the deadline.

Slippery Pete

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
NYC
Status
Cherebourg said:
Anyday now.....
u need to relax dude...

unlike you, ppl who have multiple acceptances have worked hard for them and, as you don't understand, it's hard to commit to just one this early (esp since most of us haven't received financial aid pkgs yet).

the day will come soon enough when the little people will have a glimmer of hope. so..., how 'bout some patience, huh?

:thumbdown:

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Slippery Pete said:
unlike you, ppl who have multiple acceptances have worked hard for them
Mr. Pete,
It's a bit uncalled-for to suggest that the OP hasn't been working hard.

VFrank

Wildcat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
Slippery Pete said:
unlike you, ppl who have multiple acceptances have worked hard for them

A little harsh. I'm sure many people who don't have multiple acceptances work just as hard as those who do.

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
just withdrew from two acceptances and one waitlist ;)

jefferson was hard because the staff and student body is so gashdarn nice - i actually felt really bad writing the letter!!!

good luck :luck:

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
Slippery Pete said:
the day will come soon enough when the little people will have a glimmer of hope. so..., how 'bout some patience, huh?
No need to worry, this guy will have his ego squished soon enough. If it isn't by biochem, some medicine attending will eventually get around to it.

As to the OP's comment - its an unfortunate reality but people with multiple acceptances need to wait for the financial offer before they can make an informed decision. The result is that every year there are tons of waitlisted folks who get an acceptance very late in the game. So don't give up. Fortunately, even the last one offered a spot gets the same opportunity as the first guy invited. You and the child prodigy both start out with a clan slate!

Mr. Seeds

C4M
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
DrThom said:
Would anyone like to share their withdrawl letter with me?

I really just don't feel like writing one and I wish I had a form letter...
...the epitome of post-acceptance apathy. :laugh:

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
DrThom said:

i PMed ya. enjoy ;)

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
DrThom said:

you guys are actually writing real letters? I was just going to say, "I would like to decline my acceptance. Period." Are you being really nice and thanking them for the acceptance and how you really love their school but unfortunately blah blah blah?

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
tinkerbelle said:
you guys are actually writing real letters? I was just going to say, "I would like to decline my acceptance. Period." Are you being really nice and thanking them for the acceptance and how you really love their school but unfortunately blah blah blah?
i figured a couple of complimetary sentences were the least i could give to a school nice enough to accept me. and you never know, some of the same docs in admissions offices now could be the ones we're talking to 4 years from now for residencies. yeah, i'm paranoid like that. :D

Eyesayah55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
I think that it is really important to withdraw an acceptance when you know that even with an offer of a large amount of money you would not be convinced to enroll in a particular school's program. This gives other candidates who have been waitlisted and really want to go to that school the opportunity to do so. Waiting until the last minute to withdraw an acceptance from a school that you know that you would not matriculate at seems really unethical to me and unfair to other candidates. What do you guys think?

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Slippery Pete said:
u need to relax dude...

unlike you, ppl who have multiple acceptances have worked hard for them and, as you don't understand, it's hard to commit to just one this early (esp since most of us haven't received financial aid pkgs yet).

have some patience? how about you have some sympathy? i don't know about you, but i want to know as soon as i can where i'm going to be next year. i couldn't imagine if included in that was the possibility of not being in med school at all.

japhy

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 1999
Alta, Ut
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
while i disagree with slippery pete's tone his point is dead on. i am sorry but there is a difference between the folks that worked really hard and rocked the admissions process. they are left holding multiple acceptances. it stinks for all of those waiting, but the school wanted the first candidate enough to admit immeadiately. those holding multiple acceptances don't owe those on the waitlists anything.

everyone knows going in that may 15th is the drop date. don't bitch about it now. :rolleyes:

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
superdevil said:
i PMed ya. enjoy ;)
Hey superdevil,
could you pm it to me too? I need to withdraw from a couple of schools :cool:
thanks! :D

seethrew

(superthrew)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
cast in steel
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
yeah. i'm holding a bunch of acceptances. one waitlist. although i know i'm in i still haven't heard from a top choice and its not f$%^ing harvard. i've gotta wait too. i wont know where i'm going until the last card is dealt. i'm super frustrated. and i don't think any genius would spend as much time as i do obssessing on this site! :) so inhale through the nose, out thru the mouth. we really are all in the same boat, at least the same roller-coaster car. i know i'd be freaking out too not having a seat yet... but have faith. things should work out, at least thats what I hear!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
superdevil said:
i PMed ya. enjoy ;)
Would you be kind enough to PM me a withdrawal letter "form" to me too? :oops:

I was going to just say "I would like to withdraw my acceptance." But, some schools were especially nice, courteous, warm and fuzzy, and I just feel bad!

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
No one's gonna write their own letter? Jeez...

Here's an idea: make up form letters for letters of intent, where's my interview, withdrawal of the app, begging for a second chance. Then build a mail merge to add your name, ECs and other pertinent info. Then, sell them to premeds. We'd make some bank! I get 30%, you write up the documents and the mail merge. Waddaya think?

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
tinkerbelle said:
Don't forget to gently remind them you want your damn deposit money back...

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
superdevil said:
i figured a couple of complimetary sentences were the least i could give to a school nice enough to accept me. and you never know, some of the same docs in admissions offices now could be the ones we're talking to 4 years from now for residencies. yeah, i'm paranoid like that. :D
oh. good point.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
DrThom said:
Don't forget to gently remind them you want your damn deposit money back...
ohhh... i wouldn't have thought about that. I thought they would *automatically* send me my money :p

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
I don't understand. Why would someone withdraw from a school before the financial aid package comes in? Doesn't money play a huge part in where you choose to attend? Personally, if a school offers me a $20,000 a year grant/scholarship, I would move that school to the top of my list.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
sdnstud said:
I don't understand. Why would someone withdraw from a school before the financial aid package comes in? Doesn't money play a huge part in where you choose to attend? Personally, if a school offers me a $20,000 a year grant/scholarship, I would move that school to the top of my list.
i think most of us ARE waiting to see the financial aid packages. We're just getting our withdrawl letters ready in advance :D I did withdraw from one school already though... i knew i'd never go no matter hom much money they gave me.