Parent as an almamater

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So would having a parent who graduated from a certain medical school and completed their residency at that school improve your chances of getting into that school?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a small advantage, but not huge. Make sure you show a general interest in the school, it's programs, etc. so when they say "Why are you interested in our school?" You don't just say "Uuuh, my dad went here."

Probably not as much as the applicant would like it to...

They might get special considerations like a guaranteed secondary, or maybe even an interview, but I wouldn't count on it as a means to acceptance. I know of at least one school that has a certain guy interview all the legacy (is that the right word?) candidates. Whether or not that adds extra weight for the ADCOM, I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish my parent was a university. That probably would have saved me a lot of trouble.

I assume you meant alum?

exacty what I was thinking...

my dad graduated from SUNY Upstate.

Me: pre-interview hold as of this week. (i have decent stats, check out the mdapps under my avatar).

As for the residencies:

a resident is not on staff/faculty of the med school. he or she is an employee of the hospital. the resident is not considered a student of the school affiliated either. so even if your dad did a residency at school x, the only useful time to use it is as a conversation starter at an interview.

Lol, ok guys i admit i made a mistake, move on?? please. lol

I didn't get an interview at my dad's alma mater (USC), but my sister is now an M2 there. Apparently the person who interviewed her was an anatomy instructor when my dad was in med school, so that connection helped her.

What helped me with my school (MCW) was that my dad had a friend from med school who worked here for a year after residency, so my interviewer was impressed that I knew about the school before, since I'm from not-the-Midwest.

So would having a parent who graduated from a certain medical school and completed their residency at that school improve your chances of getting into that school?

Depends on how much $$$ your parent has donated to the school. ;)

I hope so....my mom, dad, and uncle all went to Downstate. My dad was on faculty there for a few years, but is not anymore. I hope this will help me somewhat.