Parent working in med school....helps in admission

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

ab2701

10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
I know for undergrad having a parent as a faculty member helps for admissions. Im curious to know whether it would be a benefit for the student during application season if his or her parent worked as a research scientist in the med school?

TwinkleToes

ima miss
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
Houston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
my mom works in one of the schools that i got into and i'm convinced that it helped me get in (my brother is also a resident there). the dean knows her, and so do all the student affairs people. My interviews did go really well, but it didn't hurt that i stood out a little. it should also be said that this is in TX, where they really want you to stay after you graduate, so having my family right there at the school was a big plus.

supahdren

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
I have a parent who's been a full professor (PhD, not MD) in the med school of a famous institution for decades, my stats and CV in general are at or above this school's averages, and I didn't get in. My interviews went well. So I'm going to say that maybe it sometimes helps or hurts, but it certainly doesn't always help.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.