Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Parent working in med school....helps in admission

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ab2701, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ab2701

2+ Year Member

I know for undergrad having a parent as a faculty member helps for admissions. Im curious to know whether it would be a benefit for the student during application season if his or her parent worked as a research scientist in the med school?

2. TwinkleToes

TwinkleToes ima miss
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    my mom works in one of the schools that i got into and i'm convinced that it helped me get in (my brother is also a resident there). the dean knows her, and so do all the student affairs people. My interviews did go really well, but it didn't hurt that i stood out a little. it should also be said that this is in TX, where they really want you to stay after you graduate, so having my family right there at the school was a big plus.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    if you are fairly decent, you will get in.

4. supahdren

supahdren Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have a parent who's been a full professor (PhD, not MD) in the med school of a famous institution for decades, my stats and CV in general are at or above this school's averages, and I didn't get in. My interviews went well. So I'm going to say that maybe it sometimes helps or hurts, but it certainly doesn't always help.