Parent Writes Popular Medical Books - Will This Help Me Gain Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisgal99

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can the fact that one of your parents is at the top of his or her field and has published fairly popular medical/health books help you get admitted to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Can the fact that one of your parents is at the top of his or her field and has published fairly popular medical/health books help you get admitted to med schools?

I applied to a medical school where my father was one of the department chiefs in their hospital. I did not even get an interview. I thought I had a reasonable chance since I volunteered and did research there. Given the level of competition these days, I think schools are more interested in your personal accomplishments than what your parents did or what books they've published. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm afraid what your parents did will not help you get admitted unless you can demonstrate that you're qualified to practice medicine by yourself. This means that it depends on your individual accomplishments and how well you did in school.

I applied to a medical school where my father was one of the department chiefs in their hospital. I did not even get an interview. I thought I had a reasonable chance since I volunteered and did research there. Given the level of competition these days, I think schools are more interested in your personal accomplishments than what your parents did or what books they've published.

So no, I'm afraid what your parents did will not help you get admitted unless you can demonstrate that you're qualified to practice medicine by yourself.

what if one of your parents is a nobel laureate?

Members don't see this ad :)
:)Tennisgal, is that picture really you? With a face like that, you can trick an adcom into letting you in

Then your parent should be talking to the Dean of Admissions. This is between you and your parent, not you and the school at this point. Realize though that many will be "mad" if you buy yourself into the school. But this is a dog eat dog world so do what you must.

Yeah sure it might look nice, and it wont hurt.....But you are the one trying to get into med school, not mommy or daddy. You are gonna have to EARN your way in just like everyone else.

Yeah sure it might look nice, and it wont hurt.....But you are the one trying to get into med school, not mommy or daddy. You are gonna have to EARN your way in just like everyone else.

yea i'm trying to do that, but with the tough admissions standards these days i was just wondering if something like that would help me... i realize the med schools are looking for people to prove themselves, but its foolish to think that these schools dont think about their reputations in the academic community. wouldnt a school accept one applicant over another with slightly lower stats if that school can then boast that "the daughter of x came to our school!" ?

come on... if your parent was a nobel laureate, you can bet that school will do whatever it takes to retain that researcher (who is obviously very successful in the field). Sure, the kid would have to make some sort of bare minimum MCAT cut off like 8-8-8 or something, but I think it'd definitely be an advantage to that student. I disagree with "it won't hurt."

yea i'm trying to do that, but with the tough admissions standards these days i was just wondering if something like that would help me... i realize the med schools are looking for people to prove themselves, but its foolish to think that these schools dont think about their reputations in the academic community. wouldnt a school accept one applicant over another with slightly lower stats if that school can then boast that "the daughter of x came to our school!" ?
so, do you have a parent that's won a nobel prize? or is that just a hypothetical. ?

It depends..my dad won the nobel peace prize..but he's Yasser Arafat

Members don't see this ad :)
come on... if your parent was a nobel laureate, you can bet that school will do whatever it takes to retain that researcher (who is obviously very successful in the field). Sure, the kid would have to make some sort of bare minimum MCAT cut off like 8-8-8 or something, but I think it'd definitely be an advantage to that student. I disagree with "it won't hurt."

I see your point. Especially if said kid had a decent app. :thumbup:

Yasser Arafat was a baller...he got married when he was 60 to a 21 year old women.

Meh at best :laugh:

suha_arafat,0.jpg

Meh at best :laugh:

suha_arafat,0.jpg

Yo...man..don't be talking smack about his wife! I want to see you get that when your sixty:p...he also kissed the Albright lady like 500000000 times everytime he saw her

Depends on how well know your last name is. If your last name is "Einstein", maybe :oops:. It may help you get a "courtesy interview" or interest from the admissions committee. However, your application will be screened first, which means that it has to meet the school's minimum GPA and MCAT criteria. If you have very low grades or MCAT scores, you may get screened out by the secretary without ever being considered by the committee. If you do make it to the committee, it could tilt them towards an interview. Still, given how competitive things are, there's never a guarantee for an acceptance.

Yes, sadly, it probably would. But do you really want to be that person. Everyone hates that person, and for good reason.

My dad can let out a nasty fart...will that help me?

not if there is not as much potential for that daughter to actually contribute something to that school. You, like so many others are looking for an easy way out. If it works for you, then so be it...but I surely hope you do not also rally against aa....b/c it would be quite hypocritical and in fact prove the point that most people only argue against something when they are not personally benefiting from it

yeah, it's kinda giving off a vibe, ya know?

it's actually pretty artfully done, because he (yes, it's probably a male) isn't openly posting inflammatory things, but he picks topics that are prone to argument, and it seems to be working since a lot of people are biting. good stuff.

it's actually pretty artfully done, because he (yes, it's probably a male) isn't openly posting inflammatory things, but he picks topics that are prone to argument, and it seems to be working since a lot of people are biting. good stuff.

I give it a 6.75/10. It's been a while since we've had a quality, fly-under-the-radar troll. Good times.

I give it a 6.75/10. It's been a while since we've had a quality, fly-under-the-radar troll. Good times.

well I'm new so I haven't seen many good trolls, except for that Zakaquel or whatever his name was. I thought he was pretty funny. I hope he is somehow reincarnated.

You have the genetics of a Nobel Laureate and you can't get into medical school? Wow. I'd keep quiet about dear old dad - I'd expect a hell of a lot more from you than a normal candidate. Unless you're John Nash's kid, it's not like you've been disadvantaged.

Did your mama buy sperm at one of those "Nobel Prize Sperm Banks"?

and btw, I think at least one of Al Gore's daughters got into med school before her dad won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Did your mama buy sperm at one of those "Nobel Prize Sperm Banks"?

and btw, I think at least one of Al Gore's daughters got into med school before her dad won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Ooh, burn. :smuggrin: