Parental Info on FAFSA/Need Access/Individual School Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domino16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if, as an independent, my parental information is required on the FAFSA as well as on the Need Access and individual school applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if, as an independent, my parental information is required on the FAFSA as well as on the Need Access and individual school applications?

You need to call your individual schools - its up to them. Because you will be an MD student FAFSA will NEVER again require your parental info to submit to schools. Your schools however will likely require it for need-based loans. You need to call the individual schools to see if they will get huffy about you not putting your parental info on the fafsa in addition to the other applications. But in my experience if you want institutional need-based aid then YES you do have to put parental info on the FAFSA.

There's about 5 posts about this in this same forum and 20 in the financial aid forum. Fill in your parental information on the FAFSA if you want a chance at scholarships and campus based aid.