Parental Leave Policy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. The American Board of Family Medicine has a new leave policy (active and retroactive July 1, 2020) that residents may take 12 weeks of leave in a year without having to extend residency. This 12 weeks can be 8 weeks parental leave and 4 weeks “other leave” (vacation, PTO, etc.)

The ACGME requirements state that residents may not be given an assignment that takes them out of clinic for more than 8 continuous weeks.

Does this mean that ACGME objects to an FM resident taking 12 contiguous weeks of leave? Does anyone have any information they can share with me about how their program is interpreting the new ABFM policy and how it interacts with the ACGME requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

What i was told by another program is that after that 8 week period, they have them do a half day of clinic per week to skirt around that rule

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. The American Board of Family Medicine has a new leave policy (active and retroactive July 1, 2020) that residents may take 12 weeks of leave in a year without having to extend residency. This 12 weeks can be 8 weeks parental leave and 4 weeks “other leave” (vacation, PTO, etc.)

The ACGME requirements state that residents may not be given an assignment that takes them out of clinic for more than 8 continuous weeks.

Does this mean that ACGME objects to an FM resident taking 12 contiguous weeks of leave? Does anyone have any information they can share with me about how their program is interpreting the new ABFM policy and how it interacts with the ACGME requirements?

My program allowed me to take parental leave, however, I was only allowed 4 contiguous weeks...unpaid. Can't really complain though, I mean, that's 1 less month, which to my brainwashed, overworked resident mind is like winning the lottery.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program allowed me to take parental leave, however, I was only allowed 4 contiguous weeks...unpaid. Can't really complain though, I mean, that's 1 less month, which to my brainwashed, overworked resident mind is like winning the lottery.
So you didnt have to make up for those 4 weeks at the end of residency?

Can I just say that this ABFM policy change was long overdue, and I'm glad it happened.

So you didnt have to make up for those 4 weeks at the end of residency?

A lot of programs have a similar set up. 4-6 weeks is usually how most of them were, with an occasional half-day in clinic.

What i was told by another program is that after that 8 week period, they have them do a half day of clinic per week to skirt around that rule

This is exactly what happens.

Reactions: 1 user